Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Budget Sewing and Quilting Machine >
  • Budget Sewing and Quilting Machine

• Budget Sewing and Quilting Machine

Old 12-10-2016, 05:03 PM

Ladies you have been great! I have brought it down to the janome 7330 or brother pc420. Thank you so much for your input. When you are on a budget and yet wanting some good things for your machine to do, it can become head spinning. You have made it so much better for me. Once I get my machine and supplies, first off I want to tackle a sunbonnet sue, an attic window, a log cabin, etc, etc, etc I love them all~~~I love the pictures of all the quilts you all are or have made. They are beautiful.
    Old 12-10-2016, 06:24 PM

good luck on your quilting journey - you are going to love it! I can't wait to see pictures of your quilts!!
    Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 AM

Just a thought - look at your local shops to see if they have any of their floor models for sale. I got a $700 Janome for $400 because it had been a floor model. Has everything you mentioned except the thread cutter! It also has needle up/down and speed control.
    Good luck, IMO you can't go wrong with a Janome or Brother.
    Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM

You might try to find an older, proven machine. I have a workhorse of a machine--a 1958 Singer 401A. It comes with cams which will do almost anything the newer machines will do for around 250-400.
    Old 12-11-2016, 03:44 PM

I have a brother Laura Ashley, it does the two specialty stitches you mentioned (applique and free motion), it has an needle threader that is easy enough to use. It has many other specialty stitches, it can stitch a simple alphabet, but that feature is nothing to write home about, very utilitarian. It has a thread cutter, built on the side that you have to draw your thread across I don't know if that is what you mean or some fancy automatic one? Anyway it is under $400 and mine has been sewing well for me for several years now.
    Old 12-12-2016, 03:28 AM

Have you investigated used machines. A reliable dealer will be able to help.
    Old 12-12-2016, 03:48 AM

I live in a small town, closest town with a dealer is more than and less than a hour away. We do have a walmart close by so I decided in the end going for the Brother XS3109 that the moderator mentioned. Reason for that was because it had many of the same features as the Brother PC420PRW but around 150. cheaper. Instead of being sold by a 3rd party through Walmart, it is sold solely by Walmart if I have any problems and can take it back there. Last sewing machine I have bought is a Singer and around 30 years old. I also chose the 3109 because it has the wide table for quilts where the 420 does not.
    Old 12-12-2016, 06:56 AM
    Power Poster

Instead of being sold by a 3rd party through Walmart, it is sold solely by Walmart
    Doesn't make a difference if bought through Walmart site. Same thing as buying from the shelf. Congratulations on your new machine.
    Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 AM

I would look fro a Brother 1500. They sometimes sell used on Ebay for the price point you indicated. They are straight stitch and you will not have an applique stitch, but your price range makes you give up something and at least you would be getting something of quality. I personally prefer a Juki but even the great but old model 98 usually sells for more than 400.
    Old 12-12-2016, 08:04 AM

I too have the Brother Laura Ashley, have found it to be very sufficient for my needs. I hand quilt, don' t do much machine quilting though. The price is right on it too.