Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine for quilting on unlimited budget

Red face Sewing machine for quilting on unlimited budget

I am pie in the sky right now. If money were no object which machine would you buy? Now don't say the Bernina 820 just because it is the most expensive, but maybe a machine you have sewn on and desire!!! I've always had a thing for the Viking Se, but would like a bigger throat. Saw the Janome Horizon, haven't heard too much. Tell me please.
    Judi in Ohio

i would buy me the janome horizon.

Blog Entries
    I have the horizon and love it. If you dealer has a good used one and your trust your dealer that is a good way to go to save a little.

I have the Horizon and the throat space is grea, but I have to say I just love love love my Bernina!

Hugs

Caroline
    Caroline

If money were no obstacle I would buy a Bernina 830, the Bernina quilting frame (which I have) and Quilt Motion! Then I could do everything my heart desires to do from embroidery to quilt assembly to quilting - long arm style - free motion or computer driven. I'd think I was in heaven!

I'd get a longarm and skip a new sewing machine. I'd get the largest Innova.

Blog Entries
    Why buy just one? I would buy as many different brands as I had room for.

I have different machines for different tasks. I don't think I could choose just one to have. I have Bernina, Brother, Janome, and Singer. I use them all.
    Got fabric?

Brother Quattro, Brother Isadore or Babylock Ellisimo wouldn't know which to choose since they are very similar except in the embroidery designs they have on them

I need more information about the type of quilting you like to do. Piecing? Free motion work? Do you quilt large king size quilts or tend to stick to small quilt?
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

Id get the new Bernina B750QE. It has a 10 throat space and auto thread cutter. A computerized machine that still allows control of some auto functions is nice, and its not crazy huge. Ive always been a Pfaffie, but I may convert to Bernina.

Blog Entries
    I watched the daughter of my LQS owners sew a large bag on the Horizon. I was impressive how well it handled multiple layers. Now I'd like to see it FMQ.

Newest Pfaff....

I have the Horizon and it's a wonderful machine! But, there's so many great machines that only you can decide what is best for you! You should definately take all the time you need to see the options and being close to your dealer and repair shop is worth tons! Enjoy and best of luck.
    jillnjo

Brother Quattro top of the line. You can sew/piece, FMQ, and embroider. I sold my Bernina 440QE and bought this machine and I've haven't regretted it.

I bought the Janome Horizon. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
    Joey

The Seven Dwarves of Menopause

Itchy, Bitchy, Sweaty, Sleepy, Bloated, Forgetful and Psycho

I'm a total Viking girl so the top of the line husqvarna viking

working on a scrappy UFO behind my Viking
    Blog Entries
    A Juki sewing machine
    Seattle Awaits
    If a quilter lives in your house you should never be cold.

I would hold off until September when the new Dreamweaver comes out from Brother. But probably in the end would purchase the Babylock Seranade. The Seranade is a step above the Quest Plus I guess as it has the thread cutting ability that mine does not, and auto tension. The one thing I just really love above this machine is that it has markings on it for all the seams on the base of the machine in front of where the needle area is. So I am never having to guess where 1/4 is as I am feeding my fabric. Silly little thing I know but I really like it. I guess I just love my machine.
    Amythyst

Bernina, not just because of the price tho. I have one and I love it. Bought mine a year before I retired. Have sewed all my life, had lots of machines, the Bernina is the best by far. Best money I ever spent!!

wow, reading this thread, I decided to check out the Bernina 830.........and it looks wonderful, other than the price tag........

omg....$12,999.00. That's a lot of fabric !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Now, if money were no object, I would build a 5000 sf warehouse to house all of my current machines and buy a sweet new Bernina. I'd also have shelves for all my books and fabrics, large tables for everything, and I'd pick up a few vintage machines that I do not have in my collection.
    Stephanie in Mena

I'm with Candace--if it is quilting you want to do, go longarm! Regardless of throat space, you are still twisting, turning and fighting that quilt! For the $13,000 the Bernina costs, you can have a very nice Innova. The largest one is great but you do have to have the Auto Pilot (computer design) on it because you cannot reach 36". If the 'quilting' you are wanting to do is piecing, then only you can try them out and decide. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    I'd get a longarm and skip a new sewing machine. I'd get the largest Innova.

Last week end I went to a small quilt show in Raymond, WA. They had a vendor there with the Handi quilter sweet sixteen. I sat down and enjoyed free motion quilting on it the table was the perfect height and you could set the speed, they have a stitch regulator but I just enjoyed stitching. I would love to add one to my collection of machines. Right now my 1222 Pfaff and Baby lock Imagine are in the shop for cleaning and repairs. I so miss them. I am left to struggle on with a 7570 Pfaff and a 301 Singer. Not to mention the treadles (2) and Converted hand cranks (3) and One original hand crank a Jones.

Blog Entries
    Babylock Ellisimo sewing and embroidery with stadium lighting, automatic threading, camera built in for embroidery placement, etc., etc., etc.....wonderful machine. Plus.....it just looks gorgeous. This is the same machine Nancy Ziemen uses on her Sewing with Nancy show (with the gold top).
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
    Now, if money were no object, I would build a 5000 sf warehouse to house all of my current machines and buy a sweet new Bernina. I'd also have shelves for all my books and fabrics, large tables for everything, and I'd pick up a few vintage machines that I do not have in my collection.
    I like the way you think !!!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast