Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sewing through ends >
  • Sewing through ends

• Sewing through ends

Old 04-01-2017, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

I have both of these kinds of needles and if I have to bury a small portion. I dethread the needle then work the needle in where only the top inch with the eye is left out. I use the needle threader to pull the small bit of thread through the eye then pull the rest of the needle through and you have buried the thread. If I see ahead of time I'm going to have to bury then I work it through and kind of scrunch the fabric to where I can snip the thread and it's automatically buried.
    Old 04-01-2017, 08:51 AM

I use this method. I thread my needle with dental floss. This method is much easier for my poor hands.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t267964.html
    Old 04-01-2017, 10:19 AM
    IQ2

I usually use two different colors, top and bobbin. I pull the top thread through to the back exactly where the back thread it and double knot the two threads together and then bury at that knot location. The different color doesn't show once the two threads are buried together.

I use a very simple method: Double a short length of thread and thread both ends through the eye of the needle, resulting in a loop. Use it like a needle threader: stick the needle into the fabric where the thread to be buried is and bring it up a distance away (about 1" works). before you pull the needle through, poke your loose ends into the loop you created above and pull it through. Give a slight tug to the ends and snip off. Voila! The thread ends are buried, and you only have to thread the needle once.

I keep it in my sewing box for all end burying. I use a needle with a larger eye so it's easy to get both ends in at once, and I knot the loop around the needle so it doesn't pull out while I'm using it. Works on even the tiniest ends.
    Attached Thumbnails thread-puller.jpg  

Last edited by IQ2; 04-01-2017 at 10:23 AM. Reason: added info
    Old 04-01-2017, 12:27 PM

Yes, this is what I do. Instead of thread in my long needle I use dental floss as for me this works better.
    Originally Posted by IQ2
    I usually use two different colors, top and bobbin. I pull the top thread through to the back exactly where the back thread it and double knot the two threads together and then bury at that knot location. The different color doesn't show once the two threads are buried together.

I use a very simple method: Double a short length of thread and thread both ends through the eye of the needle, resulting in a loop. Use it like a needle threader: stick the needle into the fabric where the thread to be buried is and bring it up a distance away (about 1" works). before you pull the needle through, poke your loose ends into the loop you created above and pull it through. Give a slight tug to the ends and snip off. Voila! The thread ends are buried, and you only have to thread the needle once.

I keep it in my sewing box for all end burying. I use a needle with a larger eye so it's easy to get both ends in at once, and I knot the loop around the needle so it doesn't pull out while I'm using it. Works on even the tiniest ends.
    Old 04-01-2017, 01:40 PM

This is all such information. Thank you to everybody.
    Old 04-01-2017, 03:41 PM

Oh thank you everyone for the information and advice, I find it the most frustrating of all my jobs when quilting, it is hard on my arthritic fingers, but I love it when it is all done.

Idle Di
    Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM
    The quick thread needle is one that has a small opening along the top or the side of the needle eye so you can thread it more easily vs putting the thread through the eye.
    I personally like the ones that have the opening on the side. If this link works,

http://senchneedles.com/

If the link doesn't work, search under "Sench Needles".
    I was all set to purchase these until I saw they were made in China. No, thanks.
    Old 04-04-2017, 06:35 PM

If you see that your thread is too short, thread your needle after you insert it into the quilt. Push the needle into the layers and then pull the needle free. The loose thread end will be caught by the batting and should not work free.