Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • apple dumpling sauce >
  • apple dumpling sauce

• apple dumpling sauce

Old 05-09-2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by sewnclog
    I had apple dumplings the same as you Wonnie but my mom cut the apples up in cubes or chunks then sprinkled sugar and cinnamon over them, then wrapped the pie dough around them. That was our dinner; no meat and veggies that night; I LOVED it Still do just not as often. Thanks for the walk back in time.
    My mother called this "Dough Fish". The apples were sliced onto circle of dough made with mashed potatoes. A little sugar, cinnamon and butter was put on the apples and the dough circle was rolled up and put into a 9 X 13 pan along the short side. Many more of these rolls were added to the pan, even squished in and it was baked. We ate these dough fish with milk poured on them. That was our supper.
    A friend told me she would pour some kind of sauce over the dough fish before baking. She said it was made of milk, egg and sugar (and probably cinnamon) but she never gave me the recipe and she's gone now. Sounds good though.
    Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 PM
    mac

"My mother called this "Dough Fish". The apples were sliced onto circle of dough made with mashed potatoes. A little sugar, cinnamon and butter was put on the apples and the dough circle was rolled up and put into a 9 X 13 pan along the short side. Many more of these rolls were added to the pan, even squished in and it was baked. We ate these dough fish with milk poured on them. That was our supper."

Mavis,
    I looked up 'fish dough' and all I came up with was dough to catch fish. Was your fish dough maybe a Pierogi dough?
    Also, do you know what temperature for the oven? This all sounds so wonderful, I would like to try it.