Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
apple dumpling sauce >

apple dumpling sauce

apple dumpling sauce

Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 PM

Default apple dumpling sauce

Isn't it funny how we can each name the same dish that we grew up loving but, if we were to make it and set it on a table with others known by the same name , it would probably be entirely different in taste. For example, apple dumplings. Growing up ours were always encased in squares of pie dough and the hollow in the apple was filled with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mother made a cinnamon and water and sugar base she poured around them and baked them in the oven. When it was time to eat them they were put in a bowl and we poured milk over them. When I got married, my mother-in-law baked hers in a pan with no liquid and she served them with a warm, thin vanilla sauce that was scrumptious (at least to my husband, our four children and me) and I've made them that way ever since. Any sauce left over I would put in the frig and serve it the next day on top of Wacky cake. If you'd like to try it it's as follows:

Stir together..............................1 cup of sugar and 4 Tblsp. flour

Stir in and mix
thoroughly................................ 1 egg, slightly beaten and 1 qt. of milk

Cook, stirring constatntly on low fire till bubbly and slightly thick. (This will be very pourable)

Add: ........................................1 tsp. vanilla

Enjoy!

Last edited by Wonnie; 05-07-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: didn't show up as I had typed it again
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Sounds great but I have to ask, ' What is Wacky cake?'
Old 05-07-2017, 07:19 PM

sounds yummy My son is the one who makes baked apples for thanksgiving dinner! he is a bacholer and does all the cooking I think he is a keeper!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:55 PM

WACKY CAKE

1 1/2 cups of flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp. cocoa
1 c. cold water
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. juice OR vinegar
5 Tblsp vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix together all at once and pour into unprepared 8" x 8" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees.....25 minutes
Old 05-08-2017, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post

1 tsp. juice OR vinegar
What kind of "juice"?
Old 05-08-2017, 05:48 AM

sorry...lemon juice
Old 05-08-2017, 09:23 AM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM My mouth is watering!
Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM

We used to make "wacky cake" by dumping all the ingredients in a square cake pan, stir them together with a fork until smooth and then bake. When I was a young girl (and I mean young because we lived on a farm and everybody worked!) this was my "go to" recipe!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wonnie View Post
Isn't it funny how we can each name the same dish that we grew up loving but, if we were to make it and set it on a table with others known by the same name , it would probably be entirely different in taste. For example, apple dumplings. Growing up ours were always encased in squares of pie dough and the hollow in the apple was filled with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mother made a cinnamon and water and sugar base she poured around them and baked them in the oven. When it was time to eat them they were put in a bowl and we poured milk over them. When I got married, my mother-in-law baked hers in a pan with no liquid and she served them with a warm, thin vanilla sauce that was scrumptious (at least to my husband, our four children and me) and I've made them that way ever since. Any sauce left over I would put in the frig and serve it the next day on top of Wacky cake. If you'd like to try it it's as follows:

Stir together..............................1 cup of sugar and 4 Tblsp. flour

Stir in and mix
thoroughly................................ 1 egg, slightly beaten and 1 qt. of milk

Cook, stirring constatntly on low fire till bubbly and slightly thick. (This will be very pourable)

Add: ........................................1 tsp. vanilla

Enjoy!
Years ago at a Mardi Gras banquet, I had a serving of bread pudding with a most delicious vanilla sauce. Since then I've searched and hadn't found--until now--a good recipe for the sauce. Thank you!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 12:16 PM

I had apple dumplings the same as you Wonnie but my mom cut the apples up in cubes or chunks then sprinkled sugar and cinnamon over them, then wrapped the pie dough around them. That was our dinner; no meat and veggies that night; I LOVED it Still do just not as often. Thanks for the walk back in time.