View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Wonnie

Default apple dumpling sauce

Isn't it funny how we can each name the same dish that we grew up loving but, if we were to make it and set it on a table with others known by the same name , it would probably be entirely different in taste. For example, apple dumplings. Growing up ours were always encased in squares of pie dough and the hollow in the apple was filled with butter, sugar and cinnamon. Mother made a cinnamon and water and sugar base she poured around them and baked them in the oven. When it was time to eat them they were put in a bowl and we poured milk over them. When I got married, my mother-in-law baked hers in a pan with no liquid and she served them with a warm, thin vanilla sauce that was scrumptious (at least to my husband, our four children and me) and I've made them that way ever since. Any sauce left over I would put in the frig and serve it the next day on top of Wacky cake. If you'd like to try it it's as follows:

Stir together..............................1 cup of sugar and 4 Tblsp. flour

Stir in and mix
thoroughly................................ 1 egg, slightly beaten and 1 qt. of milk

Cook, stirring constatntly on low fire till bubbly and slightly thick. (This will be very pourable)

Add: ........................................1 tsp. vanilla

Enjoy!

Last edited by Wonnie; 05-07-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: didn't show up as I had typed it again