Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Expectations when ordering online? >

Expectations when ordering online?

Expectations when ordering online?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

Originally Posted by ohmisslizzie
I get the cheapest fabrics from fabric.com and if you use their coupon codes (on retailmenot.com) they have a 30 percent off entire order if its over 50$ they also have some if your oder is less, and when you order it tells you how many yards they have in stock, and if its on backorder it tells you that automatically when your shopping, I love this site!
to add to this if it is the end of the bolt they give you what is let for free. I just got a little less then a yd for free when I ordered flannel. the other thing is something if they don't have it in one length they will call you and let you know. then to make it up for there mistake this is what they do if you wanted 2 yd but the have 1 3/4 of one piece and 3/4 of a seond piece they will send you all of that. the are also cut 37" and most time it is longer then that. great place to shop
Old 11-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ohmisslizzie
I get the cheapest fabrics from fabric.com and if you use their coupon codes (on retailmenot.com) they have a 30 percent off entire order if its over 50$ they also have some if your oder is less, and when you order it tells you how many yards they have in stock, and if its on backorder it tells you that automatically when your shopping, I love this site!
I love fabric.com also...I've bought lots from them. I didn't know about this retailmenot though...I have to go check that out!

Wow...that is the best site! Thanks for sharing it, I'm sure I'll use it for more than the fabrics!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:08 PM

I would very much appreciate knowing ahead of time if my order cannot filled as stated.

Because of it being online, I would tend to feel the shop would have the responsibility to communicate to their customer for any reason they cannot fill the order. How else would the customer know? I think it would be a bad business practice too.

It's a two way street. When the customer knows, "she" can then have the option to look elsewhere, see if it can be backordered, or make whatever decision "she" needs too concerning "her" project. It fosters good customer relations, which may lead to increased sales by recommendations/word of mouth, gains consumer confidence and develops good communication skills.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by dunster
I really expect a site's online inventory system to prevent showing yardage that they don't have... Most of the sites have this feature; they show the current number of yards available and you theoretically can't order more than they have. I'm sure the system can get out of whack occasionally, but it should work most of the time.
There are several valid reasons why the inventory shown can be off. Most likely the problem is that while most customers are ordering via the online shopping cart (which will track inventory perfectly), some customers will be ordering by phone or as a "walk-in" and that is where things get "out of whack"... until the website owner runs a program to synchronize the website shopping cart with the actual (physical) inventory. Commonly this is done once a day. Also... there's the whole issue of "shrinkage". If you have a new 15-yard bolt, and you're generous in your cuts, giving an extra inch or two, you don't actually have 15 yards to sell, you have more like 14. Or you might encounter a flaw somewhere in the bolt, and that reduces the actual amount available to sell (but you don't know that, until you're unrolling the fabric).

And then... there's the problem that two three-yard cuts do not *really* equal six yards...

Old 11-20-2009, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Some of the sites have a list where you choose what to do - send what you have, cancel, follow directions I type into empty box below.. . I'm a fan of those
Me too!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
There are several valid reasons why the inventory shown can be off. Most likely the problem is that while most customers are ordering via the online shopping cart (which will track inventory perfectly), some customers will be ordering by phone or as a "walk-in" and that is where things get "out of whack"... until the website owner runs a program to synchronize the website shopping cart with the actual (physical) inventory. Commonly this is done once a day. Also... there's the whole issue of "shrinkage". If you have a new 15-yard bolt, and you're generous in your cuts, giving an extra inch or two, you don't actually have 15 yards to sell, you have more like 14. Or you might encounter a flaw somewhere in the bolt, and that reduces the actual amount available to sell (but you don't know that, until you're unrolling the fabric).

And then... there's the problem that two three-yard cuts do not *really* equal six yards...
All excellent points and many I would not have thought of but they make perfect sense.

What do you mean two 3-yd cuts do not equal 6-yds?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:02 AM

I would definitely want to be notified prior to the order being filled. I like have the check boxes and also put comments specifying what my expectations are. I also like having the quantity available listed, but if I absolutely must have something, I will call or email first to make sure they have the quantity I require (especially long cuts as I prefer not to piece borders unless I have to). I would be open to suggestions for similar items to use in place of what I ordered.

A few months ago, I received a package I wasn't expecting. It was a backordered item from an order I placed 4 months prior! No warning, no asking if I still wanted it. There was no estimated date on their website. I thought it was discontinued. It wasn't worth the hassle of returning, so I kept it. But I have not ordered from there again. If you don't have it, say so. If you can give a resonably firm timeframe for backorders, please communicate it with the customer so we can make an informed decision.

It's good you are polling your potential customers...to me, it shows you care how we feel! Good luck! :)
Old 11-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
What do you mean two 3-yd cuts do not equal 6-yds?
Sorry! I really wasn't being very clear on that one!

What I meant to say was: if you need six yards all in one piece, or a four-yard piece plus a two-yard piece, then even though it adds up to six yards, it still won't do (if what's available is two 3-yard pieces).
Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

Exactly!!! If I want to do borders in a continuous length, I would not be happy being sent two pieces instead of one whole length!!

Another thing I encounter... Not all websites tell you how big the swatch is that you are viewing. I love it when it is stated, it could be 2X2" up to 12X12" we would have no idea...and that can make a difference to me and what I am looking for.
Old 11-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Lots of places will just place a ruler on top of the fabric at the bottom of the picture -- that helps tremendously!!