Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Jelly Roll Help >
  • Jelly Roll Help

• Jelly Roll Help

Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 PM

Just wanted to say that Summer in the Park is a pretty quilt (I've made one too) but can be a little tricky even with a jelly roll that is true to size because all of the edges of your blocks are bias. I found it difficult to match things up simply because the seams weren't nesting and everything was getting really stretchy. I didn't use starch because I didn't want the strip to shrink wonky either.

There is this great scrappy strip quilt I've been wanting to make, but haven't created enough strip scraps yet. You could easily make this and it'd be beautiful. Here's the tutorial.
    Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie
    There is this great scrappy strip quilt I've been wanting to make, but haven't created enough strip scraps yet. You could easily make this and it'd be beautiful. Here's the tutorial.
    Great string quilt idea
    Old 05-17-2017, 06:53 AM

Sephie, thanks for the link! I like the HST string blocks! You could make QST's, too.
    Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 AM

If I remember correctly... there is a way to sew the strips without trimming or if they are a bit too narrow.
    Cut a piece of card board 2 and 1/4" wide by whatever length. Line up one long edge of the cardboard to the outer (left) edge of the strips. Those are the edges you will match BTW. Then sew your seam at the other (right) edge of the cardboard. It might not be 1/4".
    That should give you the finished width of the strips as 2 1/4".
    Does this make sense? somewhere on the net there is at least one tute if not more but I can't find them in a hurry and my Pinterest won't display for me for some reason. I know I've pinned this. Possiblly someone could find that particular tutorial. The pictures are excellent.
    And I will keep looking myself.
    Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 AM

You might be able to do something like this quilt. I made this quilt from a "grab bag" I got from my quilt guild about 6 years ago, as part of a challenge. The bag was full of strips of fabric in different widths. If you are interested, let me know and I will try to write down what I did. Any width strips would work, so if they were cut unevenly, you might just have to sew one extra strip on and then cut some of it off....

Dina
    Attached Thumbnails red-scrappy-quilt.jpg  
    Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dina
    You might be able to do something like this quilt. I made this quilt from a "grab bag" I got from my quilt guild about 6 years ago, as part of a challenge. The bag was full of strips of fabric in different widths. If you are interested, let me know and I will try to write down what I did. Any width strips would work, so if they were cut unevenly, you might just have to sew one extra strip on and then cut some of it off...

Dina
    I like that your quilt a lot - great way to use strips - and the borders and sashing work very well, too.

Handsome cat - looks he/she approves!
    Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 AM

After years of working and collecting all the equipment and fabric for my retirement of quilting, I ran into the very same problem. In fact one project lingers on the edge of the long arm. I don't remember where I bought these, but they are off. I need to make a quilt that uses them up.

Marcia

P. S. There is a huge volcano going off near Mexico City here on 5-18-17 6 a.m. EDT.
    Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 AM

Sorry this has happened to you. Joanns is somewhere I would never buy a jelly roll...gut instinct maybe. I have of course purchased many fat quarters there in the past and never really had a problem there, but then they would be easier to trim down if needed. Wish I had a word of advise to give you.
    Old 05-18-2017, 04:56 AM

I have never had a problem with MSQC but I do not like the pinked edges. I do not buy from JoAnn's anymore.
    Old 05-18-2017, 05:09 AM
    dms

I just found Jordan Fabrics and love that they do not use pinked edges. Their site shows the precise way they cut the fabric. I'm waiting for some brights to order from them.