Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Update on thread throw ups using 100wt on cone, fixed!

Update on thread throw ups using 100wt on cone, fixed!

I wanted to let everyone who responded to my post about thread throw ups that the problem is mostly solved. Taking advice from several people I did the following:

1. PurchasedSuperior thread's thread nets-- these are much finer than the other one I had. The finer mesh does a pretty good job of controlling the thread coming off the cone without snagging (which was a problem with the original net I tried).

2. added a bit of fluff into the first guide after the cone.

3. Tightened my bobbin tension even more than normal. I actually ended up tightening it to the point where if I hold the thread tale with the case dangling, the case does Not drop at all even with a firm jiggle. This is much tighter than I normally need for FMQ with heavier wt. thread, however it works and I'm getting well formed stitches with no problems. Not sure why I had to do this with the Invisifil 100wt on the cone but never had to do it with exact same thread on smaller spools.....go figure

anyway, these three things in combination seem to have fixed the problem. Spent all day yesterday FMQ with Invisifil 100t in both bobbin and top. Thanks everyone who offered suggestions to my original query.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Thanks for describing so well what fixed your problem. It's one we could all have at any time.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I didn't see your first post, but am glad for you that you fixed the problems. I hate FMQ when everything goes wrong!
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a Gift!

She who sews shall surely rip

Thanks for sharing the details, and glad you have found a good solution!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Glad you got it fixed

Blog Entries
    How and why did you "add a bit of fluff in the first guide after the cone"? What kind of fluff? Does it add traction of some sort?
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    How and why did you "add a bit of fluff in the first guide after the cone"? What kind of fluff? Does it add traction of some sort?
    yes, several people suggested adding either a folded piece of batting, or cotton in order to help prevent the 100 wt thread from twisting back on itself and to help even out tension as the thread comes off the cone.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rryder View Post
    yes, several people suggested adding either a folded piece of batting, or cotton in order to help prevent the 100 wt thread from twisting back on itself and to help even out tension as the thread comes off the cone.

Rob
    Thank you for explaining that. I am a new serger user and always watching for hints.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

[QUOTE=rryder;7844272]I wanted to let everyone who responded to my post about thread throw ups that the problem is mostly solved. Taking advice from several people I did the following:

My husband coined a new word for these thread throw-ups - bobbin barf.
    Mary Jane Flikke