Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Glue on Iron >
  • Glue on Iron

• Glue on Iron

Old 07-19-2017, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by annievee
    Using a dryer sheet, heat iron and press down hard on the dryer sheet--removes the glue every time ! This is only method I use.
    Yes! This is what I do, as well. Those dryer sheets are amazing at removing crud.
    Old 07-19-2017, 05:39 AM

I just run the iron over the edge of my ironing surface to sort of "scrap" it off. I have a 2x4 sheet of plywood as the base, so it's got a rather sharp corner to use. It even worked when I got stupid can set the iron down on the carpet thinking the feet would lift it off fast enough (NOT!).

I do this more often than I'd like to admit, because I don't always get it right when I'm trying to figure out what side of the paper has the webbing on it.
    Old 07-19-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by annievee
    Using a dryer sheet, heat iron and press down hard on the dryer sheet--removes the glue every time ! This is only method I use.
    When I got Pellon Wonder Under 805 on my iron, I called the Pellon people and the dryer sheet was the method quoted to me. It worked.
    Old 07-19-2017, 07:41 AM

The previous suggestions are all that I have done/do. I also use a Brillo Pad, after the iron cools. Works for me!
    Mariah
    Old 07-19-2017, 08:30 AM

In the 1970's (way before fusible) we used the plastic bags dry cleaning came in. Placed the plastic bag between applique shape and background, and then placed iron on it. The plastic adhered the applique to the background and the extra plastic adhered to the paper towel. I still put the paper towel over what is to be fused and any extra bits fuse to the paper and my iron stays clean. BUT when the inevitable happens, dryer sheets are the answer.
    Old 07-19-2017, 09:13 AM
    Power Poster

I tried the Magic Eraser and it didn't work. Hubby suggested I warm the iron. That did the trick. However, I have had good luck with the dryer sheets as well.

We stopped using dryer sheets for their intended purpose because the chemicals in the sheets actually put a coating over the drying sensor.
    Old 07-19-2017, 11:21 AM
    KLO

Originally Posted by Bebe2Ten
    I did the same thing and gummed up the entire surface of my iron. I used a Magic Eraser (Mr. Clean?) and it did the trick in no time.
    This is also what I use. I keep one in my studio for just this purpose. Wet it and rub the sole of the cold iron. Think I might need to buy a new one! Ha! Or maybe I will give the dryer sheets a try since so many of you have suggested that. Thanks!
    Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 PM

Magic eraser works wonders
    Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    Magic eraser works wonders
    Magic Eraser is a miracle! I use it for a lot of things and it works great!
    Old 07-20-2017, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I accidentally turned a piece to be fused the wrong way and my iron now has a spot (about the size of a quarter) on its surface. I wanted to keep working, so I used it with paper between for the next thing and when it cooled, it seemed as though there was less glue. I wonder if using paper in between for the next few pieces will help it go away.

Have you ever gotten Pellon Wonder Under 805 on your iron, and what did you do?
    Have I ever!!! If you do any kind of fusible applique or iron on stabilizer you are going to get it on your iron! It will happen! I keep a tube of Faultless Hot Iron cleaner and a couple of old kitchen towels in a basket in my sewing room. It is easy to use, I don't have to wait till the iron is cool, and it does an outstanding job of removing any kind of fusible from your iron. Just put a bit of the cleaner on the folded towel and run your hot iron over it. Comes off right a way and leaves no residue on your iron. Love the stuff and the tube lasts for a long time.

https://faultless.com/product/faultl...-iron-cleaner/