Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with "pillowing" >

Help with "pillowing"

Help with "pillowing"

Old 07-28-2017, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I would block it, especially since you haven't squared it up yet. Spritz some water on it, just enough to make it damp, and work out the wrinkles as best you can with your hands. Get it as squared and straight as you can, then stick rust-proof pins in the corners and edges through to the carpet and let dry. Then square the top.

eta: just realized you asked for help in squaring. Here's how I do mine, for the most part. I take a square 12.5" ruler, align it at each corner, and trim all corners first. Then I get my 36" long architect's ruler, fold the quilt in half (making sure to match the trimmed corners carefully), align the ruler with the cuts I just made, and trim the centers of the quilt.

The light bulb just came on for squaring up a quilt. I have never gotten it right and, Peckish, your method is now my method. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by rvsfan; 07-28-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 AM

It looks to me that most of the bulk is up/down and not side to side. I'd guess the white jellyroll was cut a slight bit wider than the pinks.

I've had some really bad "pillowing" on a quilt my Mother had made 30 years ago. I think it's why she never quilted it. I couldn't do an allover pattern, but by using motifs, I was able to ease the excess and it turned out fine. It still looked quite "poofy" in the center compared to the outer edges, but it did lay flat and looked nice.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

It's a cute top! I might use a piece of polyester batt as big as the heart, stitch in the ditch around the heart and trim away the batt along the stitching lines. I would then sandwich the quilt top with a regular 80/20 batt and quilt the background. This will cause the heart to further puff out for a trapunto effect and you could just do enough quilting in the heart to meet the batting requirements.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:22 PM

Bekah, no advice, just wanted to say that your quilt is adorable and I'm sure your daughter will go WILD for it!

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
eta: just realized you asked for help in squaring. Here's how I do mine, for the most part. I take a square 12.5" ruler, align it at each corner, and trim all corners first. Then I get my 36" long architect's ruler, fold the quilt in half (making sure to match the trimmed corners carefully), align the ruler with the cuts I just made, and trim the centers of the quilt.
I love you Peckish!!!!

I had no idea how to square a quilt and your method makes so much sense and sounds totally do-able!
Thank you so much for posting that!

Tartan, you have so many good ideas today! I think an extra puffy heart would be extra cute and give the quilt that special touch. If you don't mind I'm totally stealing your idea for Bekah. I think it's marvelous!

Last edited by Chem; 07-29-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: extra comment