Color Blindness - - -

Old 08-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

I would love to get my husband a pair of those glasses to see colour but the cost is prohibitive.
I know his glasses cost about $400. I think that is a great bargain to change vision for the rest of someone's life. I imagine the color blind folks have always wanted to see what other folks see.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I wonder if there are "reverse" glasses so we can see things the way that color-blind people do?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
I never said men were the only ones. I said I knew a few men who were. I guess I should go find a female to know, who is color blind so I won't come across as color blind prejudiced against tons of people.
I think there are statistically more men who have it than women. But I knew what you meant- I didn't know they had those glasses- very cool!
Old 08-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

I would love to see some quilts made from fabrics chosen by a person who has this condition. I bet they could be fabulous.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

there are quilters on another forum I'm on who see aura's around people, or colors for everything, or numbers. so interesting!!! They do make wonderful quilts!!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:46 PM

I am a female and have a blue color blindness. There is a certain shade of blue I don't differentiate from other close shades of blue. I made myself a black, grey and white purse once and one of the fabrics in it was a dark charcoal grey with a very fine lined vine on it in a light grey. As soon as my mother saw it, she said, "I like that pop of blue you put in there." I said, that's not blue, it's grey." I was wrong---it was a light blue. I have seen that blue color in that fabric once or twice, and then only briefly. It was somewhere in public with fluorescent lighting. As soon as I looked at the fabric, I could see the blue, but it quickly looked grey again. I never knew I had this color blindness until I applied for a job and that was one of the tests. Looking back, I remember owning a greenish YELLOW car many years ago that my dh insisted was yellowish GREEN. Now I know he was right and I just couldn't see some of the blue pigment in that paint, so it looked clearly yellow (with a hint of green) to me.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

I have a brother in law that is color blind. All my life I have heard only men are color blind. If there are women that are color blind, I have not heard of them.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 PM

I recently had a colorblind SIL help me chose the color for my new car. The family thought it was hilarious. My car is River Rock - a pretty coppery tan - he saw it as bright orange. Odd, being red/green colorblind, the red should have read as brown so it should have looked more brown to him.

Odder still is that my son was colorblind as a young child, but regained the ability to see colors correctly later. Convenient as he was a stone mason for several years.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

My brother is color-blind, and has difficulty with blues, greens, reds and browns. My hubby~ blues and purples.
I also knew a guy that only saw things in blacks and whites.
I am one that has super-sensitivity with colors.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:23 PM

My oldest son's father is color-blind can't see shades of greens, if I remember correctly. My son is legally blind in his left eye, no Macular is what his Ophthalmologist said. He sees shades of grey through his left eye and says its like looking through vertical blinds partially open.
I was told his brain doesn't know he has two eyes if that makes sense. His one good eye has 20/15 vision. His high school ROTC Sgt. Major was amazed at how accurate he was at target practice. My son said, "Sir, you only need one eye to aim."