Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Steam Iron >
  • Steam Iron

• Steam Iron

Old 09-08-2017, 08:08 PM

I have been thinking of asking for a new iron for Xmas this year. I noticed that Joan Ford recommended the Reliable Velocity 200IR. I also think the Oliso TG1100 Smart Iron looks very nice. So, I will be interested in what everyone has to say. I was thinking of going to BBB with a coupon.
    Old 09-09-2017, 01:39 AM

I have a Panasonic cordless I am very happy with. Before I purchased it, I purchased T-Fal that I used for 3 years and works great.
    Old 09-09-2017, 04:23 AM
    Power Poster

The problem I see is that the expensive irons are great while they work but once they quit you're out a lot of money. (my Rowenta) I really wanted to get an Oliso but read the reviews and changed my mind.
    Old 09-09-2017, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
    We have this one, but I know we didn't pay $250 for it. Bought it at a quilt show after seeing the demo. Good strong steam and no auto shutoff.

https://www.eurosteam.com/product/eu...neration-iron/
    I have an older version of this iron as well. I do love it. You must use distilled water in the version I have. The only time it leaks is if I overfill (forget there's still water from last use and add more).

I'm a firm believer in reading the instructions for type of water to use in your iron. Just because distilled water is more 'pure' does not mean the iron has been made to require that level of purity. I've had 2 Rowenta's and no leaking issues whatsoever. The only reason I replaced the first one was because it took one too many fall's off the ironing board. I bought the Europro iron during a quilt show as well so I could have an iron in each location (quilting and clothing ironing locations). Frankly, I think the Rowenta gets hotter than the Europro but you can control the steam with the Europro more finitely. And the steam does get gotter than the Rowenta (or maybe because there's more steam it just seems that way).
    Old 09-09-2017, 04:55 AM

I use a little inexpensive Hamilton Beach and it's the best iron ever!
    Old 09-09-2017, 07:21 AM

All the steam irons I've tried in the past usually end up leaking so went back to a basic iron that does have steam but haven't tried it, got this latest one for a $1 at a garage sale. I tend to keep a spray bottle with water in it to mist my fabrics. Seems to give me a better pressing. This latest iron, a Sunbeam has one heck of a nice hot press, better than the last 3 irons I've gone thru. I keep all the irons as long as they continue to heat up for backups but I won't be spending big bucks for those fancy dancy irons any longer.
    Old 09-09-2017, 01:05 PM

I'm always disappointed in the short life of the more expensive irons I've invested in--so continue to stay loyal to my $20+ Sunbeam iron from Walmart--they last forever with ALL features working and when they do die, i just toss and buy another--so far i've had 2 of them in about 30 yrs. The more expensive ones seem to only last about 2 yrs.
    Old 09-09-2017, 05:54 PM

I have an inexpensive Hamilton Beach travel arm steam iron that I use exclusively for pressing seams. It is perfect! The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have an on/off switch, so I have to remember to unplug it. I have a Proctor-Silex mid-size steam iron, again, not expensive, that I use for pressing fabric and the quilt top when finished. I've been very pleased with both. I know that Rowenta's supposed to be wonderful, but I've read so many negative reviews, that I don't think I want one. My quilting group has one we keep set up when we get together, and it is nice, I admit, but it is also heavy. My arthritic hands don't care much for that iron!
    Old 09-09-2017, 08:28 PM

When not using, I want my iron turned off. With design walls and cabinets covering most walls the outlets are hidden. Easy solution, power strips with good surge protection are placed before design walls/temporary cabinets are installed. Then just turn off the iron at the power strip. Also lights are turned off at the power strips. And all machines are connected via power strips (machines are turned off at the machine.).

Friends often join me for quilting sessions. So the iron gets heavy use and all sorts of trials.

At a retreat center that provided 6 irons, all of them died within 3 days. The heavy use of auto turn off, then on again, is what is suspected as the cause of failure. Just a tip of info.
    Old 09-10-2017, 03:57 AM

I love my cheap Black and Decker. I think I paid $15 for it on sale at Walmart 10+ years ago. It gets good and hot and heats up fast. I haven't used the steam function in years since I keep a spray bottle of stay-flo starch mixed 50% starch and 50% water on hand for flattening seams. It does not have auto shut off which is fine with me. I turn it off and unplug it whenever I walk out of the room. When it dies I'll go for another cheap one.

Rob