Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk cooked into caramel sauce? >
  • Sweetened Condensed Milk cooked into caramel sauce?

• Sweetened Condensed Milk cooked into caramel sauce?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 AM
    Power Poster

I have made it in the can before but now buy it in the can already caramel. I use to make it from scratch and still do when I only need a little caramel sauce. I buy the caramel apple wrapping sheets and put one over my apple pie filling before adding the top crust.
    Old 10-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Yes, and it's delicious. But I stopped when I realized that Nestle has already done it for you. It's called La Lechera Dulce de Leche caramel and is either right beside the condensed milks or in the Mexican/Spanish foods sections. It's Yummy!
    Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 AM
    mac

Oh, no! Something else that I want to make, as it sounds so delish! Is this low-calorie? LOL!
    Old 10-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Banoffee pie

Crush chocolate digestive biscuits, add melted butter, mix well and press into the base of a flan tin. Chill in the fridge to set.
    Add the caramel sauce, and allow it to set in the fridge. Lay thinly sliced ripe bananas on top of caramel. When ready to serve, whip some cream so that it hold its shape, and pile on top of the bananas. Add a small(ish) amount of grated chocolate on top of the cream to decorate.
    Small portions - rich, but delicious.
    Old 10-20-2017, 11:41 AM

In the early 50s, we were poor. Not destitute but money was scarce. War surplus commodities were the order of the day. Along with powdered milk, powdered eggs, flour and sugar we would occasionally get evaporated milk and sweetened, condensed milk. That was the best. We opened the condensed milk can, put it in a pan of water and just let it cook in the boiling water until it was carmel. There was never any left.

Last edited by llong0233; 10-20-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: typo
    Old 10-20-2017, 01:25 PM

We stayed a month at a Texas campground and a man there made caramels in this manner over the Holidays. Good thing I missed it, I love caramel !
    Old 10-20-2017, 03:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

This Yummy substance is the base for the glorious Butterscotch pie served at O'Charley's. I tried it and was scared to death the can would explode, but all was well.

Jan in VA

<address>1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked</address><address>1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk</address><address>3/4 cup brown sugar</address><address>1/4 cup cornstarch</address><address>3 egg yolks, (Keep whites for meringue)</address><address>1 teaspoon vanilla extract</address><address>1/2 teaspoon salt</address><address>2 tablespoons margarine or butter</address><address> </address><address>Bake crust and let cool. In a pot on top of the stove mix milk, sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla and salt with a whisk. Add butter in one piece. Cook on medium high heat for 5 to 7 minutes until butter melts and mixture thickens. Stir constantly because this will burn easily. Once thickened, remove from heat and pour into pie crust.</address><address> </address><address>
    Meringue</address><address>3 egg whites</address><address>1/4 cup sugar</address><address>1 teaspoon vanilla extract</address><address>Start beating egg whites, adding sugar while beating. Add vanilla and continue until peaks are formed. Spread on pie covering entire pie. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until brown on top or place under broiler to brown. </address>

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-01-2017 at 01:00 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
    Old 10-20-2017, 05:03 PM

Thanks all. I remember digestive biscuits from England! Will definitely indulge in caramel apples this weekend, and flan, and pies, and probably just eat it out of the jar too
    Old 10-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Watson
    JJBlaine...what size baking dish?

Watson
    Any size you have that fits inside of another pan for the water bath. I tend to use an 8"x8" pyrex dish only because it happens to fit perfectly in my cake pan for the flan that I serve at the table. For the "take home" flans, I use disposable aluminum loaf pans because I can fit two into one cake pan.

I used to have a really large cake pan that was big enough to hold my cupcake tin...that was great to make individual servings, which was great because they cooked in less than half the time.

Also, I forgot to mention that once it is chilled, you run a knife around the edge and flip it onto a serving plate so the carmelized sugar is on top.

Last edited by JJBlaine; 10-20-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 AM

[QUOTE=Jan in VA;7928373]This YUMMY substance is the base for the glorious Butterscotch pie served at O'Charley's. I tried it and was scared to death the can would explode, but all was well.

Jan in VA

I'm confused, Jan. No mention of a can here, except the evaporated milk would come in one. But the pie sounds fantastic!