Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lap Quilt for Blind GGD >

Lap Quilt for Blind GGD

Lap Quilt for Blind GGD

Old 10-29-2017, 11:09 AM

When I was teaching one of my First grade students was visually impaired. She used Braille and I still have my Braille notebook with the ABC's an some words if you need any info on what to use for which letters, please pm me. I haven't used Braille in about 2-25 years now, but I can at least make a copy of the ABC's for you. Many years ago when I was doing some cake decorating I had a friend ask that I make a B-day cake in the colors of Tx. Tech where he was attending at the time. I had her write his name out in Braille and I used that to put his name and Happy. I B-Day on the cake in a small block. He was truly excited, because he had never before been able to read Happy B-Day or his name on a cake.
I also had a student who was deaf, and used sign lang. I found Braille to be much easier to learn than sign lang.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:22 PM

Braille in french knots.....that has to be the best idea ever! You people are such a blessing to all of the members here. Xo
Old 10-29-2017, 12:59 PM

I once saw a quilt for a blind girl that her grandmother had made for her using different textured fabrics, dimensional appliqués and her name in Braille using yo-yos. It was kind of unusual colors because that is the colors she found the textures in, but a blind child would not care. It was beautiful. Simple shapes on a quilted background.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

You can most likely find some ideas looking up "fidget blankets" for the dementia/Alzheimer patients in homes. They appreciate the tactile blocks as well. I bet you DGD will appreciate that her granny puts so much effort into the quilt for her.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Suz

I plan to use jean pockets and fill them with shapes: heart, square, round, etc as well as stars, moon, etc, attach strings and tuck them into the pockets. I will quilt these shapes. She is so bright and will learn and learn. My GD gave me the Braille dots for "I love you" and the "J" for her name. Have also thought of Braille names of her siblings and parents. However, since she does not read Braille would this be overwhelming. My GD will advise.

Anyhow, I am just getting started and will learn to post pictures for you all who are cheering me on. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

For sure, check with your GD as to the advisability of the braille inclusions, and how much would be good for your GGD vs. too much and overwhelming. Or perhaps it might be something for you to plan for quilt #2!

By including it now, it may be something for her to "grow" into ... and an incentive to learn. When you talked about the pockets with the different shapes, my brain was racing ahead and thinking of braille on the shapes.