Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stretching/Exercises for Quilters? >

Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

I've seen numerous exercises and stretches for quilters. Are there any stretches or exercises that you actually do that seem to help? I always have a sore back after ironing quilt backs and tops before loading them on the longarm. Can't determine if my ironing board is too low (I'm 5'4"). I seem to slouch when standing all the time now and feel like someone needs to take my shoulders and pull them back!

Anyway, after taking 2 Advils, I thought I'd check with you all to see if there's a nice stretch or exercise that you do that help counterbalance the sewing effects.

I've even laid down flat on my back on the floor.......oh yes.....listen to all the bones creak in my back as I lay flat! Yikes!

P.S. I'm 64 years old.....so now sure how much the muscles will stretch back to where they should be!

So, whaddya do? What movement works for you? Any pre-stretching before and/or after sewing?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:15 AM

Our guild goes on two retreats every year, and all that non stop sewing can take a toll. We all get up now and again to iron or cut, etc. but that machine, with our intense interest, gets the shoulders/back/neck and won't let go! Every few hours some random person says "YES, NO, MAYBE SO" ....we don't always stand up, but even at our chairs, we NOD yes, Shake our head NO, and SHRUG our shoulders maybe so. Several nods, shakes and shrugs at a time, repeat a few times, go back to sewing. Seems to help, if nothing else, we all get a good laugh!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM

https://airawear.com/index.php/blog/shoulder-stretches/

I do an odd stretch a friend taught me. You go stand in a doorway and reach back to hold onto the door frame (hands placed with palms outward facing, thumbs up), and lean/hang forward. This stretches your upper arms, shoulders and chest and feels very good, at least to me.

It is similar to the #12 stretch on the site linked above <https: airawear.com="" index.php="" blog="" shoulder-stretches="">and they have a number of other good stretches shown too.</https:>
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Cranberry ... that link gives a lot of good stretches that pretty much sum up the ones that come to my mind to help quilters stretch it out. And then some!

NoraB ... stretching is important, even if you have not been doing them, you can always start. Just don't overdo things, and work towards improvements. Once you feel the stretch, hold it for a few seconds .... and don't push beyond. If it hurts .... stop! If you do the stretches regularly, you will notice the improvements.

Some other things to consider are the ergonomics (not just your ironing station) for your whole sewing room. Also, to add in the anti-stress mats wherever you are standing (long arm, ironing, etc.). Plus the footwear you have on can make a big difference to your overall body-health.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Good link, Cranberry. My yoga classes do a lot of shoulder work.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I do my neck excercuses for the pitched nerve in my neck in the shower as it loosens the muscles for stretching. You might benefit from the new work place harnesses for preventing back and shoulder injuries. It would be worth while to invest in the one that goes over the shoulders and velcros around the rib cage to give better posture if you are working at the long arm a lot.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

i do what Cranberry does. i also put my finger tips on the top of the door frame and "hang" by the tips while slightly bouncing on my tippy toes.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Just reading them sounds good......I think that is what my tight muscles need........s-t-r-e-t-c-h ! ! ! Thanks!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
https://airawear.com/index.php/blog/shoulder-stretches/

I do an odd stretch a friend taught me. You go stand in a doorway and reach back to hold onto the door frame (hands placed with palms outward facing, thumbs up), and lean/hang forward. This stretches your upper arms, shoulders and chest and feels very good, at least to me.

It is similar to the #12 stretch on the site linked above <https: airawear.com="" index.php="" blog="" shoulder-stretches="">and they have a number of other good stretches shown too.</https:>
GREAT POST!!!! Thank you!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on the shoulder stretches... but you also need to move your spine. A great one is to stand, and then raise your arms overhead, palms facing. Then tighten your abs and glutes (your booty!) and slowly bend backwards, pressing hips forward.

If you can't do that bend standing, you can lie down on the floor, face down, and then with hands beside your shoulders, press up, keeping your hips on the floor. Bend back as far as you can. If you know yoga, this is a basic cobra pose.

Any time you are bending over a lot (gardening, etc.) it really pays to bend backwards every so often, to counter all the forward bending.