Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stretching/Exercises for Quilters? >

Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

Stretching/Exercises for Quilters?

Old 10-29-2017, 12:03 PM

Nora, how high is your cutting table and ironing table? Ideally your cutting table should be just a bit below bent- elbow height when you stand. I'm also 5'4" and when I switched from cutting at my kitchen table (30" high) to a used cutting/craft table (34") it made worlds of difference in shoulder muscle tension. Also, when you sit at your machine, are you reaching up above elbow height, having to scrunch up your shoulders? My sewing machine table is 30" high--which is perfect. My old one was 32--and I got sore easily in shoulders and wrists. My ironing table is at a 90 degree angle to my sewing table, and the same height, so I can just swivel my chair. However, I've recently been forcing myself to get up and stand to iron so that I don't get so stiff and sore. Helps a lot. My husband jokes, "It's almost like exercise!" I tease back, "It is! I mean ,have you ever sewn a seam on a log cabin block, then turned, stood up and pressed it, then sat back down? If you do it every time, it is definitely exercise." Mr. Runner and Weight Lifter pokes fun and I just roll with it after 30 years of marriage.

My Janome table
Old 10-30-2017, 11:08 AM

zozee, my cutting table is 37" high. That seems to be okay for me...I wear shoes when I'm going to stand (quilt or cut). But, I'm concerned that the pressing table is too short....it's 32 1/2".......wondering if I should make it as high as the cutting table. I always stand when pressing......so pressers out there....what is the height of your ironing surface? (I can raise it easily with the help of my husband).
Old 10-30-2017, 11:26 AM

Location: NC,GA,FLA,(GA and NC again), MD, MO, now Virginia...not going again

Thank you. I too learned this door frame stretch from my chiropractor. NorB, you CAN stretch and be in better shape. I am 71+. I can put my knees back on the floor beside my ears as well as put my hands flat on the floor. I started doing a yoga flex/Iyengar yoga class close to 9 years ago. My doctors say that it is a miracle what the class has done for me. Do a youtube search for Iyengar yoga for beginners. You will find many videos that will help you. Just remember, if it hurts don't do it. Back off, adapt, and keep trying. Yoga is Yo-ga...mind and body. It should NOT be something that hurts you. Even in classes we are encouraged to adapt the moves to the level we an achieve.
As others have said. Move..don't keep one positon for an impossibly long time.
When you iron, lower the ironing board level and stand up straight..(This from the gal with somewhat chronic tendinitis in the right shoulder from an ironing marathon.)
Happy Stretching!

Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
https://airawear.com/index.php/blog/shoulder-stretches/

I do an odd stretch a friend taught me. You go stand in a doorway and reach back to hold onto the door frame (hands placed with palms outward facing, thumbs up), and lean/hang forward. This stretches your upper arms, shoulders and chest and feels very good, at least to me.

It is similar to the #12 stretch on the site linked above <https: airawear.com="" index.php="" blog="" shoulder-stretches="">and they have a number of other good stretches shown too.</https:>
Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 PM

This is a great video on sewing/quilting ergonomics, and she has lots of other great videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbmQ2riM7Yo
Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM

Good for you, trying to nip the problem in the bud without resorting to pain relief, which wouldn't work longterm anyway. I'm an exercise physiologist with a specialization in gerontology. You've received some great advice for half of the problem. The chest stretches will do a good job of stretching out your chest muscles. If you have a rounded back you also need to strengthen the trapezius/ rhomboid muscles in the back because when you have a forward shoulder slump these muscles are too loose. This is a very common problem as we age. Here is a good video for help with this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aSv45T0FZ3I

the advice to get up and move during quilting is good too. Adjusting your ironing table to the appropriate height for you is great. I do a lot of exercise and quilting after a bout of exercise seems to be the best for me. A good walk with five or so strength exercises and a few stretches would help. You only have to do the strength exercises every other day. And as I tell my clients when we do squats, it will keep you getting on and off the pot for a long time so your kids dont send you to assisted living.

MaryHJ is absolutely right. There are many, many yoga classes which are not appropriate, even harmful for seniors. Start with a gentle or chair yoga class. Beginner classes are many times not suitable for seniors. If something doesn't feel right don't be pushed into it. I have been teaching yoga for ten years, took lots of training for that. It's definitely buyer beware in the yoga industry today. Iyengar, anusara instructors are a good bet but hard to find. There are other good instructors out there. Any class that does downward dog may not be a suitable class for beginner seniors. Hot classes are a health hazard for us too.

Of course always check with your doctor about whether it's safe for you to do these exercises.
Good luck. Enjoy the journey.

Last edited by mjpEncinitas; 10-30-2017 at 01:00 PM.