Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Light Suggestions for Christmas >
  • Light Suggestions for Christmas

• Light Suggestions for Christmas

Old 11-29-2017, 06:01 PM

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...-Lamp/12173433 The lower light can be adjusted to light the area you want illuminated.
    Old 11-29-2017, 07:45 PM

I had an old brass floor light and I just bought a regular light bulb, an Ott bulb, at Joanns, and it works great. It has a dim and a bright. Less then $7 with the coupon.
    Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 PM

I just bought 2 from IKEA today. It's the gooseneck in black. I got the floor model and the clip on. The floor is for reading in bed, without being too visible since there's a nightstand and lamp there already; but the lamp can't get close enough to read by. I've already tried the floor lamp and I think I'll be doing a lot more reading in bed.<3
    Old 11-30-2017, 03:19 AM

I personally like halogen lights to do needlework. I have one on the table by my chair that is highly positionable and has both high and low settings. Granted, it does tend to get warm/hot after working under for a while but I find the light to be amazing.
    Old 11-30-2017, 05:04 AM

Costco has had OTT lights for around $25(C). Found them here in NB so I suspect you could get them in BC too.
    Old 11-30-2017, 05:39 AM
    Power Poster

I love Ott lights. I have 3 different ones and love them all. Good luck!
    Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 AM

I use this one from Ikea and it works really well. You can also get it on a base if you'd rather have it stand on the table. IKEA ships all over, so you're good to go that way.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50310175/

Watson
    Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 AM

IMO it's the bulb that's critical, not the lamp itself.

I bought LED bulbs from Amazon for my sewing room and put them into a bunch of regular old lamps (literally old, I love vintage brass lamps!) and my sewing room is really brightly lit now. My overhead lamp holds three bulbs, that really lights up the whole room! Then I have two more in old goosenecks that hover over my cutting area that I use as task lamps - I don't always need to turn those ones on, usually the overhead is enough unless it's really dark fabric or I'm working at night. But when I do...I can see every thread!

Look for LED bulbs with a "daylight" rating, and then you can put that bulb into whatever lamps you already have on hand.

The IKEA lamps are good, don't get me wrong - I have two of them at my main sewing machine. But they're spotlights/task lighting and for me that wasn't enough, I was still doing a lot of hunching and squinting.

I have tried three Ott lamps and gotten rid of all three of them. The lighting was good, but all three of them had a buzz that drove me nuts. I kept trying new lamps thinking I'd gotten a doozy, but all three (three different models) buzzed and had to go. My new LED's...I think the light is just as good if not better than from the Ott lamps, and I think my cool old vintage brass lamps are a lot better looking than the Ott lights. Ott lights look like hospital supply to me. (However it's probably worth mentioning that the people I gave those lamps to are all pleased with them and they say they don't hear the buzzing that I hear. So maybe I'm just crazy or have weird hearing!)
    Old 11-30-2017, 08:52 PM

I have bought the LED bulbs at Hobby Lobby for my regular lamp fixtures. They screw in just light a regular bulb. Pick up a used lamp, either desk or stand from a 2nd hand shop or yard sale for cheap and buy yourself a bulb!
    You can look online at Hobby Lobby for them they are probably $20 or less.
    Old 12-01-2017, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly
    Ikea has some awesome LED desk lamps that are only ten dollars. Super bright and I love the flexible neck.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

Cari
    Yes! This is a great lamp. I’ve had it at least three years without any problems.