Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help for a newbie (re: stretching) >

Help for a newbie (re: stretching)

Help for a newbie (re: stretching)

Old 02-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

This is terrific! I have done worse stretching and still had it come out okay. Over the years I have seen many posts that say a lot will blend in when the quilting is done, so do not stress much about it. You have gotten much good advice in the posts ahead of mine. I just wanted to say I think this is gorgeous, and it certainly does not look like a first quilt.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:18 AM

Great job, and I love the color/pattern choices. Your points are better than mine, and I've been doing this for years.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 AM

Great job on your first quilt. Good advice given. Easing in fullness will become your best friend. It will look great. Hope you show us the finished quilt.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:10 AM

YOUR FIRST TOP! You have done a great job! You have taken on some challenging blocks and done remarkably well - corners not cut off, points meeting, etc. And, yes, you will get better with practice. Even after quilting for decades, I am still improving. And, keep remembering, we don't really make mistakes, we are adding design elements and give ourselves challenges! Now, to fix the 'wavies'. Example - top left corner block, take out the side seam and bring it in at a tiny angle to take away half of the wavy (it will be so small, it will not be noticeable when done). Then trim another tiny bit from the outside - no more wavy. Then you should be able to add your borders (sashing is inside, borders are outside) without much problem. You already have figured out why you have a wave, so you probably won't have it on the next quilt. You have a good eye for color and balance and I look forward to seeing your next project.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:42 AM

Looks fine to me. Amazing job!
Old 02-24-2018, 08:55 AM

Spray Starch is your best friend in this situation. You will be amazed at how much fullness will be taken out. I spray my area that is too full until it is very wet. Let it dry. Don’t iron. If you need to give it a bit of a press when it is dry fine, but don’t get carried away.

Your quilt top looks very good and does not look like there is a terrible amount of stretching. The starch should work very well for you.

Ellen
Old 02-24-2018, 10:35 AM

Can't add much to what has been given, but just wanted you to know that I love your first quilt-the color choices are great and good job! Please post pic when finished, would love to see it.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

I don't think you will have a lot of trouble as it is well done. I only saw two areas where there's a bit of wobble and definitely not enough to throw the top off. When you add the border/sashing, make sure to use the measurement across the middle of the top (OR measure across the middle, and close to each edge, then average those three measurements) and cut to that length. I would mark the center and at least the quarter points on both the sashing and the top with pins so you have spots to better align the pieces. When you have any "extra" to distribute, it is better to distribute it evenly.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:29 PM

I always starch the fabric I'm going to use that might have any bias edges. I make it stiff and then it's easier not to stretch the pieces. Yours doesn't look as bad as some of my early ones! LOL! Use a puffy batting & you'll be amazed how it pulls it in when you do your free motion quilting on it. You've done a very nice job on it so far! It's a nice looking quilt top!!
Old 02-24-2018, 01:32 PM

Wow, I feel so loved, thank you! To be perfectly transparent, I took a quilting class, and though I did all the sewing and cutting and color choosing, my teacher was wonderful.

There are so many good ideas and I'll try to use them and get a better fit as I continue to add on the sashing. I know I'll get there, it's just that I need to be patient with it!

Thanks all! <3<button id="tw_schedule_btn" style="padding: 4px 6px; position: absolute; left: 141px; top: 840px; background-image: linear-gradient(rgb(255, 255, 255), rgb(240, 240, 240)); border: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); color: rgb(95, 95, 95); cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: rgb(255, 255, 255) 0px 1px; white-space: nowrap; border-top-left-radius: 3px; border-top-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-right-radius: 3px; border-bottom-left-radius: 3px; font-size: 11px; z-index: 8675309; display: none; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;">Schedule</button>