Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pattern sizes >
  • Pattern sizes

• Pattern sizes

Old 06-26-2018, 05:08 PM
    Power Poster

I have noticed the same as everyone else. I like enough quilt to cover my width and tuck under my feet, in case I decide to stretch out on my back. I very seldom follow patterns and just make up my own.
    Old 06-26-2018, 11:27 PM

42x42 is a nice size for a baby quilt.
    Old 06-27-2018, 04:54 AM

I do a lot of smaller quilts - as a matter of fact, one of my favorites is 42" by 42". They are lap quilts. I am tall and I use it all the time on my chair. Most of the quilts I have made so far -- and I admit I am NOT prolific, as are some - I have made to be used as lap quilts at a nursing home. You definitely do not want lots of hang over in wheel chairs. I specifically use flannel on the backs to help keep them from sliding. Sometimes I will add an extra row to make it more rectangular, just to add length. Just remember the purpose - and don't assume there are rules. Make them for the purpose - everything can be adjusted somehow. Enjoy the process.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]596578[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails img_20180306_170631993%5B3238%5D.jpg  
    Old 06-27-2018, 06:39 AM

I agree! I think would encourage projects to get done as they are so much smaller. But in my book, not very useful. We have very little wall space that is large enough for a hanging that is over 3' x 3', and I don't want a bunch of wall hangings anyhow.

My solution is to either make more blocks, if the pattern lends itself to that, or add borders. I loved pieced borders, so possibly two or three pieced then one solid. Just depends on the pattern and what it would adapt well to.
    Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie
    I do a lot of smaller quilts - as a matter of fact, one of my favorites is 42" by 42". They are lap quilts. I am tall and I use it all the time on my chair. Most of the quilts I have made so far -- and I admit I am NOT prolific, as are some - I have made to be used as lap quilts at a nursing home. You definitely do not want lots of hang over in wheel chairs. I specifically use flannel on the backs to help keep them from sliding. Sometimes I will add an extra row to make it more rectangular, just to add length. Just remember the purpose - and don't assume there are rules. Make them for the purpose - everything can be adjusted somehow. Enjoy the process.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]596578[/ATTACH]
    What is the name of the pattern? I really like it. Thanks.
    Old 06-28-2018, 05:51 PM

I make all sizes--some for beds, some for lap quilts for tall people, some for my g-boys that don't need that tall lap yet, some for hanging in my stair well (42") and many for my round dining table (will usually do square or large hexigon shape). But one thing I've noticed is that more smaller quilts on showing up in the magazines & I think this is at least in part the effort to get more people sewing--and if you can quilt it on your domestic machine instead of paying a LAQ, then you will make more small quilts.