Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Ideas for quilting >
  • Ideas for quilting

• Ideas for quilting

Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    In addition to the wonderful suggestions above, I always think you can't go wrong with a 2" grid crosshatch done on point. You can mark it off with 2" Painters tape and quilt right next to the tape. When you get to the corner simply turn around the quilt and stitch back up the other side of the tape. Peel off the tape and place it going to the opposite corners. Quilt on both sides. You now have a big X quilted which will stabilize the whole sandwich nicely. Continue placing tape and quilting alternating directions as you work your way out. You should be able to peel and restick the tape several times (4ish) before you have to peel off a new piece of tape. It is quick and easy.
    Thanks for this !
    Old 08-09-2018, 06:07 AM

Feline Fanatic! What an awesome idea. Thank you so much. I'm going to use your idea on my next quilt!
    Old 08-09-2018, 06:38 AM

The easiest would be a diagonal from the upper right corner down to the lower left corner. Starting in center row and working out allows for the least amount of fabric in the harp. Whether you roll it or just bunch it up is a matter of preference (you will hear the good and bad reasons for both!). Mark the center line and then just use it as the spacing line (or mark the whole quilt if you are more comfortable with that).
    Old 08-09-2018, 07:13 AM
    Power Poster

you can do slow curves with your walking foot by just moving the quilt a bit as you go along.
    Old 08-09-2018, 07:53 AM

Love the painters tape idea-very creative and doable. Love your patriotic quilt too.
    Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan
    Love the painters tape idea-very creative and doable. Love your patriotic quilt too.
    Be careful and don't sew over the tape. When you do, it's almost impossible to remove.

I made a similar quilt a while back and quilted it with a walking foot. It was my first time quilting. Mine had more red, so I quilted it in red, hoping that my mistakes wouldn't show. If I were doing yours, I'd use off white.

The beauty of this is that you don't have to mark it. You just do gentle "S" curves from one corner of the square to the middle and back again.

It's easier to do than to draw. I was happy with it and it looked pretty good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599240[/ATTACH]

bkay
    Attached Thumbnails junk2.jpg  
    Old 08-10-2018, 02:48 AM

It's not very creative but stitch in the ditch is always an option! You could simply do the vertical seams or follow the "steps". I watched a friend quilt a simple quilt using a walking foot on her machine, stitching 1/4" on one side of the seams. I liked it. Depending on how wide your strips are, stitching with white and only in the white strips 1/4" from the seam, following the "steps"might be another suggestion. Does this give you a standard of the 4" between quilting? It appears your finished strips might be 2" so it might work.
    Old 08-10-2018, 03:29 AM

I logged on to suggest the painters tape idea but see you've already received that one plus more! Thanks for sewing a QOV!
    Old 08-10-2018, 03:31 AM

Whenever I quilt straight lines with my walking foot going from point A to point B across a block I use heavy paper (computer paper). I cut a strip about two inches wide and place the paper from point A to point B and sew. When I feel the paper edge isn't straight I just cut a new strip. I use this method for echo quilting as well. Cut the width strip I want the echo to be and go.
    Old 08-10-2018, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fastpedal
    Whenever I quilt straight lines with my walking foot going from point A to point B across a block I use heavy paper (computer paper). I cut a strip about two inches wide and place the paper from point A to point B and sew. When I feel the paper edge isn't straight I just cut a new strip. I use this method for echo quilting as well. Cut the width strip I want the echo to be and go.
    Thanks for the tip. Great idea.

bkay