Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for a pattern for hunters star/ snail trail >

Looking for a pattern for hunters star/ snail trail

Looking for a pattern for hunters star/ snail trail

Old 08-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
.......... I will get out some graph paper and see if I can figure it out........
Look for the individual blocks within the whole.
Inside the black border they have effectively done a patchwork border around the blocks.
Ignore it and identify your two different blocks. They are just alternated.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 PM

The link is in my first post....I can see it, hopefully so can everyone else!

Here it is again....

https://deb-tuckers-studio-180-desig...lying-swallows
Sorry I missed that. I've been fighting a migraine all day.

The LeMoyne star can be imitated with HST if you don't want to cut and piece diamonds. The background of this quilt is part of its uniqueness.

The Snails Trail is just an elaborate square in square with careful color placement. This pattern has the black triangles on the outside round to create the wings or pinwheels effect. There is also an outside border of HST that completes the look.

I think once you decide on your block size these blocks are commonly available. The key to this quilt is placement of the black and white. What size do you want your blocks and/or quilt?
Old 08-12-2018, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Sorry I missed that. I've been fighting a migraine all day.

The LeMoyne star can be imitated with HST if you don't want to cut and piece diamonds. The background of this quilt is part of its uniqueness.

The Snails Trail is just an elaborate square in square with careful color placement. This pattern has the black triangles on the outside round to create the wings or pinwheels effect. There is also an outside border of HST that completes the look.

I think once you decide on your block size these blocks are commonly available. The key to this quilt is placement of the black and white. What size do you want your blocks and/or quilt?
Hope you are feeling better! Migraines are no fun at all.
Thank you for the tips....I hope to work on this on paper later today. I would like to make this a lap size quilt, so star blocks maybe 6”?
Old 08-12-2018, 05:19 AM
Power Poster

I highly recommend Deb's rulers. It's traditional piecing,
but then you cut the block down to size in the end. If you really
don't want to get her rulers, looking at the pattern, it's a traditional
snail trail, alternating with no set in seam lemyone star blocks. The black lattice is
just fabric placement in the traditional blocks. The thing that makes
this quilt interesting is that there is an inner border that extends
the black lattice. If you remove that border, you can easily see where
the blocks are (start in the upper right corner). I think you are going to have problems with a 6" block. I would
shoot for something larger.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:12 AM

I wasnt happy with the Deb Tucker method for several reasons. One was the cut and recut and recut method. The other was you made many many parts at a time before you assembled a block. I like to make one block at a time. On the plus side, her method makes very accurate blocks. I like the half square triangle method better and I have done both.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 AM

I just watched Jenny Doan's tutorial on the Hunter's Star and I feel this tutorial makes it look like the easiest to attempt. No need for any specialty rulers. Good luck on your quilt and please share pics when you can
Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 AM

I made a wonderful EASY, Hunter's Star quilt using a pattern by Janet Leigh North. Super easy! 2 pieces and one of them is a large triangle! I see it is still on-line and is $10.00 and WELL worth the price!

http://www.janetleighquilts.com/my-patterns.html
Old 08-12-2018, 03:30 PM
jal

Look for a tutorial by Roolen on the Quilters Board. No rulers and it comes out great.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:37 PM

I made a Hunter's Star quilt early this year & I used Roolen's method. She is a board member but I haven't seen her post in a long time. Anyway, this method was really easy for me & if I ever make another one it will be this way. Her blog is in Russian but you can change the language in the upper right of the page.

http://roolen.blogspot.com/2009/08/hunters-star.html

Here's Roolen's tutorial:

Hunter's Star
Old 08-12-2018, 06:10 PM

Hope you are feeling better! Migraines are no fun at all.
Thank you for the tips....I hope to work on this on paper later today. I would like to make this a lap size quilt, so star blocks maybe 6”?
I agree with PaperPrincess that 6" blocks may give you a problem. I would shoot for at least 9" but probably 12". If you take the picture and blow up just the Snails Trail block, you can see that there are white triangles on 2 opposite corners and black triangles on the other 2. The placement of the black background on the LeMoyne Star sections gives the illusion of one continuous stripe of black. Now that I look closer I can't tell if the imitation LeMoyne using HST will give you the same effect. You may have to construct it with the traditional diamonds. You should be able to tell when you graph it out.

I will say that I'm a HUGE Deb Tucker fan. I have most of her tools and they deliver perfect accuracy. If you think you'd make LeMoyne Stars again her tools might be worth the $ to you. Her large Square Squared tool that has the markings for the Snails Trail (Economy) block is quite expensive, but it does many sizes. I don't know if she has updated her smaller SS tool with the same markings or not, but it does fewer sizes and I don't think it would go up to a 12" block.

Let us know what you decide to do. I'm curious to see your project.