Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wrong thread >
  • Wrong thread

• Wrong thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

In a situation like this where there is great color contrast, I like to use a neutral polyester thread (current favorite is Superior's Bottom Line in Silver (#623):
    https://www.superiorthreads.com/the-...23-silver-cone

It gives just the right amount of thread definition to both the light and dark areas. This is critical for me, as then the emphasis seems to be on the quilting lines rather than on my mistakes!

Variegated thread, to me, often adds too much of another color dimension to the quilting; I never know if the dark portion of the thread will show up on light fabric or become relatively invisible on dark portions, and vice versa. Variegated thread has its uses, especially for machine embroidery, but it is rarely my choice for a quilting thread.
    Old 08-14-2018, 10:38 AM

Is the idea that you're supposed to see the thread and it looks like a spiderweb? That's how I'm interpreting the block anyway, and I love it - it really reminds me of a beautiful spiderweb. But by all means play around with it until you get the effect you want.
    Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Love your beautiful block and love your fabrics. I think the quilting thread looks ok but you have to be comfortable with your work.
    Old 08-14-2018, 12:35 PM

Thank you so much for your insights. As it turns out, my daughter (the intended recipient) agrees with those of you who like the current thread, so I may end up using it. Will have to see.
    Prism99, the silver Bottom Line looks very versatile. I will include it in my next order, for sure.
    Mitty, Spiderweb is the old-timey name for what is often called Kaleidoscope nowadays. The piecing when the blocks are set together is supposed to look like a spiderweb, I think. But I'd like the quilting to enhance the effect, too, so I appreciate your comment. I made this one about 20 years ago when I was still hand quilting and just echoed the seams, so want to do something more ambitious this time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599542[/ATTACH]

Daffy
    Attached Thumbnails spiderweb1.jpg  
    Old 08-14-2018, 02:04 PM
    Power Poster

I like the dark thread in your sample block. If I have a dark back I usually use a dark thread.

It is your quilt so your way.
    Old 08-14-2018, 04:07 PM

Try a couple of different shades of grey and see what you think.
    Old 08-14-2018, 09:06 PM

I'm with Prism on this matter--not a fan of variegated just cause you can't really control where the light/dark lands plus you sometimes get weird, unintended design elements due to thread. I'd also vote for a "neutral" color in a BottomLine wt.---I have a "silver" and another that is like an "old gold" that work great with most stuff. Also a lighter lavendar is a thought too. Sometimes I'm surprised at what color really looks great in these situations--I had a customer quilt that used cobalt blue & purple batiks--and have "auditioning" several threads we both decided that the violet would be best--and there was basically no violet fabric in the quilt! Awesome block and fabrics, BTW
    Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 PM

wow, (not to change the subject) but how did you get a perfect point in the center? what is your piecing tip/trick?
    Old 08-15-2018, 04:26 AM

I like as is also but would like to see it done in a lighter shade.
    Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 AM

I see no problem with the thread you have used. It adds to the “design” of the quilt blocks. A lighter thread would do the same thing in the opposite way.......However I rarely ever use verigated thread. The colors don’t always land where you wish they would have. :-)

I forgot to say your quilting looks great. Nice smooth lines.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 08-15-2018 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Added sentence: