Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • binding with silk? >
  • binding with silk?

• binding with silk?

Old 08-21-2019, 05:23 PM

Never was a fan of blanket binding stuff. I would gently let her know they are polyester not silk and that it will not complement a T-shirt quilt well nor wear well. Old stuff was better than what you get now and I still didn’t like it then. If she would prefer the look of a wider binding you could still do that out of cotton. If you are hand finishing on the back you could sew binding on with 1/2” seam instead of usual 1/4” that would let 1/2” of binding show on front. If my math thinking is correct (I ain’t no math whiz) you would need to cut at least 3” wide binding. Just remember you would need to stop 1/2” from corner when attaching binding not 1/4”. Just keep adjusting math for however much binding you want to show on front. Don’t know how to translate this idea if you like to machine stitch on front. But I think it would be similar. FYI I have replaced blanket binding before. That stuff is slippery and a pain in the petunia to get looking nice on both sides.
    Old 08-22-2019, 10:39 AM

Thank you, FWLover. You had some comments that are very tactful. It really helps!
    Old 08-25-2019, 06:11 PM

FWLover is right--that "satin" blanket binding is hard to work with! And on a t-shirt quilt I would say go with cotton--make it wider if that is look she wants.
    Old 08-26-2019, 01:06 AM

Not sure what sort of satin baby blanket binding is available to you but here in the UK it’s white, pink, blue and lemon.

If you can’t get one that matches the quilt this could be a good (and honest!) excuse not to use it.
    Old 08-26-2019, 02:09 AM

Moira just in case you need it you can get satin bias binding in a range of colours here in UK - this is where I have bought some from before https://www.calicolaine.co.uk/haberd...s-binding.html

But I agree with others the satin will not match well with cotton T-shirt’s. I would try and find out why she wants this particular binding and see if you could replicate some of those characteristics with cotton.
    Old 08-26-2019, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter
    Moira just in case you need it you can get satin bias binding in a range of colours here in UK - this is where I have bought some from before https://www.calicolaine.co.uk/haberd...s-binding.html

But I agree with others the satin will not match well with cotton T-shirt’s. I would try and find out why she wants this particular binding and see if you could replicate some of those characteristics with cotton.
    That’s good to know - thanks!