Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag quilt inquiry >

Rag quilt inquiry

Rag quilt inquiry

Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Say the quilt will be blue on one side and pink on the other. You could sew the blocks together with the exposed seam on the pink side and sew the rows together with the seam exposed on the blue side.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Yes and it's easy to do. instead of sewing the two blocks together, over lap each block 1/4 - 1/2 inch wider then the rag will be and then sew it with each overlap on both sides of the seam. Do the same with each row, overlap both edges. You have an edge on the front and the back. It was how I made my first rag quilt using real denim from used Levi jeans using instructions from an old Farmer's magazine my grandmother use to get. That quilt is decades old in fact almost fifty five years old. I used heavy thread in my grandmother's treadle machine. The quilt is at my daughter's house last time I saw it.
Genius! I know I have found some wonderful simple ways to sew items from old sewing instructions. No special tools, just commons sense needed.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Yes and it's easy to do. instead of sewing the two blocks together, over lap each block 1/4 - 1/2 inch wider then the rag will be and then sew it with each overlap on both sides of the seam. Do the same with each row, overlap both edges. You have an edge on the front and the back. It was how I made my first rag quilt using real denim from used Levi jeans using instructions from an old Farmer's magazine my grandmother use to get. That quilt is decades old in fact almost fifty five years old. I used heavy thread in my grandmother's treadle machine. The quilt is at my daughter's house last time I saw it.
It took me awhile but I think I finally got it! One question... do you have any problems,when sewing the blocks or rows together, keeping them in alignment with each other?
Old 09-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I pin as needed or baste sew where I want the joins to be. It isn't that hard to eyeball though.