Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Beginner:  Things I've learned and have yet to learn! >
  • Beginner: Things I've learned and have yet to learn!

• Beginner: Things I've learned and have yet to learn!

Old 09-18-2019, 06:20 AM

Reader1, congratulations on finishing your first quilting class and two tops. From your list, I'd say you have learned a whole lot in a short amount of time .

What would I add to the list?

1. Don't buy impulsively. Take time to really think through your fabric purchases and have an immediate project in mind. Believe it or not, 99% of the fabric we fall in love with --if we don't use it soon--we'll fall out of love with it. A stash will build fast enough, one project at a time. Stay in control of your fabric, don't let it control you.

2. Not every project has to be completed. I try to think in terms of learning or practice sessions. If I try a technique or block and hate it, I don't have to make a whole quilt just because I started. I learned that that method/block/whatever is just not enjoyable. Move along. Learn something new.

3. You will discover your style. Be content with it. You may love working with small pieces, or you may prefer bigger pieces, faster finishes. You may like the quick pace of machine binding, or the relaxation of hand binding. You might like flannel, minky, or sheets for backing. Or you may only like to work with regular cotton. Stick to your style Call it your style. Own it and don't apologize.

4. Buy the best you can afford.

5. Your quilting mojo will come and go. Don't worry when you temporarily lose your desire to quilt. It'll most likely come back with a change of weather, health (better health), new baby announcement, scenery, financial situation, perspective, etc.

6. Keep your machine clean. The bobbin area builds up lint fast, which is detrimental and can be quite costly to remedy if it messes up fine parts.

7. Have doubles of the small items you use all the time. They easily get lost in the mess--I mean fun--of creating. Seam rippers, snips and/or small scissors, pincushions, etc.

8. Quilters are generous people. By nature we love to give and share of our time, talent, resources, knowledge, for the benefit of others and the joy it brings us. I've never met a stingey quilter. "The givers are the havers." We always have more than we can keep or use, and it just feels good to bless others.
    Old 09-18-2019, 06:29 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    For a long time I was against buying specialty rulers but I've found that they really make for a better experience sometimes.
    I agree with you about specialty rulers. I know one quilter that uses two basic rulers for every cut. That quilter is not me. LOL
    Old 09-18-2019, 06:58 AM

Welcome to the QB. You are stating well what each and everyone of us have experienced, and what we are yet to experience. As long as there is a thread and needle there will be new things to learn. Like you the drunkards path is one I did once and now avoid. After close to 30 years of doing patchwork there is still something new to be learned. Each and everyone of us started somewhere and for some the learning curb is faster than for others. You are right about the quilting police in my head. There are times even on blocks I have made a hundred times that will come out just plain wrong. Who knows why?? Take your time to learn good technique and you will find so much joy in quilting.
    Old 09-18-2019, 07:08 AM

I really like the things Zozee said and want to second them all!

For those curved pieces, here's a tip I picked up a few years ago from Eleanor Burns and used last year on my November/Thanksgiving quilt which is a grandmother's fan.

If you like the look you can use 1/2" rickrack along the seam line. You sew the standard 1/4" seam and the rickrack helps you turn the edges nicely.

Here's a link to Eleanor's video, the rickrack part comes in around minute 18. Then is a picture of my Turkey quilt top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktzb2wMMwzc
    Attached Thumbnails turkey-fan.jpg   turkey-close-up.jpg  
    Old 09-18-2019, 07:25 AM

I took my first quilting class in 1989 and made a sampler quilt to learn how to make many different blocks. Just dug it out to finish it. I too have learned many tips thru out the years but all I can tell you is just enjoy the process and don't get discouraged if it doesn't meet your expectations. Most of us quilters get much better as time and patience goes on. Congratulations on your finishes.
    IceBlossom-Love your Thanksgiving quilt. It is so cute. Love the turkey.
    Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Welcome! My advice is to learn, and remember, to not compare yourself to other quilters. I initially fell into the "I'll never be that good, talented, capable....etc". Then I realized that I have my own special way, ability, and desire to make the things I envision. Never allow some one else to dull your quilting shine! I find it's an on going learning process. I'm always learning something new.
    Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 AM

Thank you all. There are so many really good suggestions here. I love the piecing together scraps instead of using "spiders." I love the Turkey quilt! I learn so much from cousins, friends and everyone here on this forum as well as watching videos. My next project will be Christmas table runners from the scraps and left over fabric I have. I just need to find a pattern I want to do.

Last edited by Reader1; 09-18-2019 at 09:23 AM.
    Old 09-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the kind words on the Turkey quilt. After so many years of quilting and giving them away I realized my own quilts were really getting ratty so I decided to make myself a quilt for each month of the year. I'm not doing one a month -- some are taking awhile and it will take me a couple more years probably to complete them all. So while each month has a theme and it is pretty apparent what that is (some you do have to be told), I don't really want to go all-in on one holiday when the quilt will be out for a month at a time. The fussy cut turkey "pies" were a hoot, I had a couple different fabrics to choose from and actually cut a different fabric that I didn't use first.

I debated a long time between the merits of white or off-white rickrack. I decided I really wanted the element to show and was concerned the off-white would be missed. I think the white looks brighter in the picture than it does in real life.

Is subtle but the off-white background fabric has bird foot prints in it. I think it is supposed to be sand and shore birds but my quilt my happy place so I'm calling them turkey tracks!

This was one of the new techniques that I learned that was much easier, faster, and smoother than the last grandmother's fan I did which was the traditional set in seams.
    Old 09-19-2019, 03:51 AM

Love those little turkeys.
    Old 09-19-2019, 04:06 AM

Can I add something else?

Take photos of your projects, especially if you’re not going to keep them. Apart from the fact that it can be a useful reference it’s also interested to look back on how your quilting skills develop.