Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Looking for pattern for dorm twin xl bed quilt >
  • Looking for pattern for dorm twin xl bed quilt

• Looking for pattern for dorm twin xl bed quilt

Old 10-27-2019, 05:47 AM

When I was a senior in high school (1977-78) I made my first quilt and it was for me to take to college. I really don't think it matters much the actual size, I think you want to make sure it isn't too wide more than be concerned with the length. In my dorm, our beds were modular and 3 sides were wall/partitions, other buildings had other layouts with "normal" beds but you didn't know your room assignment until the last minute. It was really hard to tuck in the one side and I had other things to do than keep my bed neat
    Old 10-27-2019, 06:16 AM

A dorm twin is just a bit longer than a regular twin. I just sent my kids off with their regular size quilts because they tend to use them more to wrap up in than to have on a made bed (more like a thrown together bed! LOL) Their regular twins are also an easy size for the laundromat and to take to outdoor activities (yes they will). If you are lucky enough to have a kid who does make a proper bed, just add an extra row or two to the bottom of a twin pattern.
    Old 10-27-2019, 08:46 AM

The dimensions are 38 inches wide by 80 inches long for the extra long. Standard twin is only 5 inches shorter. Almost any pattern could be lengthened by a single row to accommodate this, or you could add a wider border at one end and perhaps embellish it with something like an applique of the school mascot or "Class of 2024" or whatever seems to fit with the quilt. Unless your son is quite tall, the original length of the pattern will not cause him a lot of grief. Assuming he makes the bed at all, if it's a little short under the pillow, who will care?
    Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 AM
    Power Poster

This is for my GSon going to college next fall made from homespun scraps. I used a 2 yd piece of 90" Cuddle so is about 65 x 85 ( can't remember actual size) [ATTACH=CONFIG]619024[/ATTACH] The link shows how I made it.

The Tale of a Simiple Strip Quilt
    Attached Thumbnails dscn0809.jpg