Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Cricut >
  • Cricut

• Cricut

Old 10-27-2019, 05:04 AM

Consider what type of cutting you do. Would this be for applique or quilting? What shapes do you cut the most? See if there are compatible dies for your current machine available.

I have the Accuquilt big and the baby. The strip ones are used the most for quilt binding. Fast and easy cutting of multiple layers and shapes. Less exposure to a rotary cutter is another consideration for me.
    Old 10-27-2019, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by BonnieJP
    After doing a lot of research, I purchased a Sizzix Big Shot Plus. I absolutely love it. It easily and accurately cuts through 8 layers of cotton fabric. Sizzix offers a variety of dies, but the ones I use the most are the 4-1/2" strip; 2-1/2" strip; 4-1/2" square; 4-1/2" two piece triangle; and 4-1/2" four piece triangle; and 1-1/2" strip. There are dies for appliques too, but I don't usually do that. I chose the Sizzix over the Accuquilt because:
    1. the Sizzix system and dies are cheaper (i.e. the 1-1/2" strip dies on Amazon - Accuquilt = $102.50; Sizzix = $44.88)
    2. the Sizzix cutter can use Accuquilt Go dies, but the Accuquilt is limited to only their dies.
    Is your Sizzix Big Shot Plus manual cut or electric cut ?
    Old 10-27-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rvsfan
    Is your Sizzix Big Shot Plus manual cut or electric cut ?
    I have a manual Big Shot Plus. Sizzix offers a Big Shot Pro, but it's a fairly large machine that would take up more space in my sewing room and would be less portable. The Big Shot Plus is small enough to fit on the corner of a countertop and is portable - I simply grab the handle on the top of the "machine" and take it where ever I want. The handle turns easily when cutting, even through multiple layers of fabric.
    Old 10-27-2019, 02:20 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. It was the cricut maker I was looking at specifically because of the software and ability to manipulate things. I have a sizzix machine but know it was not the right buy for me. I never want to do the same project twice which rules out most of the appliqué dies. I bought dies for shapes I cut a lot - 5 inch square, 2.5 strip etc. However I find it can be quite wasteful of fabric and by the time I get it all set up I might as well have cut it myself.

It is for complex appliqué I am thinking for the most...

Last edited by RJLinkletter; 10-27-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Old 10-27-2019, 02:35 PM

I have friends who just love their cutting machines but they just don't appeal to me. I figure it's just a style difference. Recently I've been working with some precut squares and found it just didn't appeal to me on several levels, for one I've been working with WoF, strip piecing and rulers for so long I just don't think in terms of units, I think in terms of strips. One of the ladies I quilt with uses a sewing machine and chain stitches but she does cut squares and pieces them together where I cut strips, sew those together and then subcut them into combined square units. She actually doesn't like the cutters either but for her it's a size commitment issue that she doesn't want to make. Space is a consideration for me as well.

Now... if I did EPP hexagons or any hexes or tumblers or some other shapes like that, I'd probably like a cutting machine very much. It's just not my thing. The fancy ones that do programmable shapes, super cool but I don't applique either.
    Old 10-27-2019, 02:58 PM
    j50

Originally Posted by RJLinkletter
    Thanks for your thoughts. It was the cricut maker I was looking at specifically because of the software and ability to manipulate things. I have a sizzix machine but know it was not the right buy for me. I never want to do the same project twice which rules out most of the appliqué dies. I bought dies for shapes I cut a lot - 5 inch square, 2.5 strip etc. However I find it can be quite wasteful of fabric and by the time I get it all set up I might as well have cut it myself.

It is for complex appliqué I am thinking for the most...
    I agree with you in that the cricut is the best for complex appliqués. It is a waste to cut straight edge items. Circles ,ovals and complex applique designs and lettering is great with this cricut maker.
    Old 10-27-2019, 03:09 PM

First let me say I know nothing about the Cricut or Sizzix. I do own an Accuquilt that I have used a handful of times.

Several quilters in my area have moved from the Sizzix, Cricut, and Accuquilt to the Brother Scan-n-Cut and are very happy with it. They tell me it's expensive, but if you like to create your own designs - especially applique - it's definitely worth it. One member of our local guild has won national awards with her applique quilts.
    Old 10-27-2019, 10:19 PM

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Peckish, the cricut makes is similar to the Brother Scan-n-Cut. Different software, different pros/cons to each depending on which reviews you read!

Iceblossom - space is a premium for me as well which is why anything I buy has to be well used!
    I think I shall monitor the price over the next couple of months (Black Friday anyone?!) and ponder a bit longer...
    Old 11-02-2019, 02:40 PM

The Cricut Maker was last years’ present for me. It’s very versatile and you can do a lot with it. I wanted it to work mainly on personalized cards, but am beginning to work my way into the quilting world so I’ll be using it for fabric soon. I’ve also used it to make some bags with iron-ons for a non-profit that I help. If you check out YouTube, you can see what everyone is doing with it. Hope this helps.