Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hoping for some encouragement - apple core quilt >

hoping for some encouragement - apple core quilt

hoping for some encouragement - apple core quilt

Old 11-16-2019, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I tend to agree with joe'smom ... take the pressure off yourself. And find another option.

However, it looks like you are committed, as you said it is a memory quilt, which to me, that means you have cut the 288 cores from a loved ones clothing.

Just tell your customer/friend it is not do-able for Christmas, but you will still do it.
No deadline! No promise of an end completion date.

Alternatively .... not knowing what size your cores are, could you cut them down into traditional squares? or rectangles? and simplify the project? Of course, this needs to be discussed with your customer/friend, being that she is thinking it will be an apple core quilt. Though, it could be a way for you to finish the quilt for Christmas.

But the end date may not be an issue for her ........... and you may be "stuck" with the cores!

When I did a runner , I found it got easier the more I worked at it.
I marked the centre and 1/4 points of each core side.
Then pinned pinned pinned and pinned some more.
Then stitched ... whether it was two together or a whole bunch.

Too late now ... and I am sure you already realize ... this would have been a time to have tried the pattern on something smaller, to see if you really wanted to do a full on apple core quilt. Yes, live and learn, for another time!

Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-16-2019 at 10:55 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM

You know, I usually do everything I can to avoid it, but have you considered doing it by hand? Large size cores aren't bad on machine but small (you said charm, not sure if that was size or just that each was different) might just be easier and sort of fun to do while watching tv, listening to audio books, or whatever is nice to do outside the sewing room, sitting on the porch if you are in such a climate even!
Old 11-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

I think the hard part is behind you- all that cutting! You've been given a lot of good advice. I agree with Onebyone and everyone else.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:39 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind words. The "charm" apple core was for the charm size squares - 5". Alot of good comments, and unfortunately I have hung myself by cutting them all. Since these were dearly departed loved one's shirts I am stuck.. I think cutting them down smaller is not an option. I am afraid that if I did that the blocks would be soo small then I would not even have enough left for a quilt of any size

I think my best option will be to just work on this off and on between other projects. Getting a break every once in a while may help me out. I will just apologize if I can't get this done for Christmas

I was able to make a little headway. I still need to give these blocks a good steam and press, but so far so good

[ATTACH=CONFIG]619796[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 74356886_2548196581884582_1658232704858062848_n.jpg  
Old 11-16-2019, 02:40 PM

I agree that approaching your friend might be a good idea. You could give her a choice, a later deadline for an apple core quilt or cutting the cores into charms done by Christmas.

whatever you decide to do, remember to just take it one seam at a time.

You got this!

edit: oops! I see cutting them down isn’t an option. I would still negotiate either a smaller item or later deadline.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

That pattern doesn't appeal to me. So I won't be making one.

Good luck, looks like you are making them.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Your start looks wonderful. Just keep going. But, I agree with everyone else. Set a time limit on working on it and then give yourself a break for a bit. Then go back and sew on it again. That sounds like a nice size apple core to work with. It is definitely a challenging pattern to work with.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

found this too Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand

https://www.modabakeshop.com/2017/08...eye-quilt.html
Old 11-17-2019, 03:08 AM

I think I'd just keep plugging away and, if it's not finished by Christmas, I'd take a picture of what I'd done so far and give it to her with the promise that I'd finish after the holidays. I'm sure she will understand that you're working as fast as you can.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:44 AM

I too tried to make an apple core quilt only to give up on it and later start again. However I did find that sewing around the end curves and then snippy gently into that seam gave my core some play, and made it flexible to pin together. Stitch around curves, press each piece that is added on. This pattern is not one to zip through....time and patience wins out.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-17-2019 at 03:47 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps