Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Dave Ramsey and unfinished projects >
  • Dave Ramsey and unfinished projects

• Dave Ramsey and unfinished projects

Old 12-07-2019, 06:31 PM

We lived by Dave Ramsy’s philosophy long before he came on the scene, so I can attest it works. We kept envelopes in the desk & added cash to them, just like he advises now. Christmas came, we had money. School shopping came, we had money. New tires needed, we had money. Right now I told DH we don’t need to buy meat until we run low. He loves to read the weekly grocery ads & stock pile. As for quilting, I don’t have a large stash, but I could make it my business to find enough on hand to keep busy for a long while, if I just apply myself.
    Old 12-07-2019, 07:40 PM

This works! One year I started off my going thru my UFO’s and listing what needed to be done to finish. I was using Ramsey’s principle of “smallest to largest” payoffs. The sense of accomplishment is very motivational; after finishing a project that only needs the binding and then moving on to the one that needs the binding strips cut, sure beats bouncing around and still having as many Total projects.
    Old 12-07-2019, 11:29 PM

Definitely a good idea for finishing projects, usually charity quilt tops waiting for batting and backing, but I wish i could learn an alternative strategy for fabric.

I find I am always thinking "I'll just use up these scraps, (generated by me and donated) before I cut the yardage of the lovely fabric I have". I spend ages cutting up scraps into different sizes, storing them in labelled boxes and then sewing into 4, 8, 16 patches, string patches and till roll strips. When the mood takes me I pull out a pile of patches to make a top. The problem seems to be that the end of scraps is never in sight so the stash of yardage never decreases. Is there a cure for this?
    Old 12-08-2019, 03:18 AM

Total Projects Make Over! (AKA Ramsey's Total Money Maker Over.) Someone needs to let him know how we have given a twist to his financial advise and applied it to unfinished quilt projects. Do other artists and crafters have piles of unfinished projects? Bet they do and they could benefit from KalamaQuilts good idea!
    Old 12-08-2019, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by tranum
    We lived by Dave Ramsy’s philosophy long before he came on the scene, so I can attest it works. We kept envelopes in the desk & added cash to them, just like he advises now. Christmas came, we had money. School shopping came, we had money. New tires needed, we had money. Right now I told DH we don’t need to buy meat until we run low. He loves to read the weekly grocery ads & stock pile. As for quilting, I don’t have a large stash, but I could make it my business to find enough on hand to keep busy for a long while, if I just apply myself.
    I've been told that the one thing it's ok to stockpile is toilet paper. It never gets outdated/spoils and you will always have need of it. Not one of those things to go out to get when you discover that you have run out!

And FYI--2 rolls of TP will fit into an oatmeal box for storage in the bathroom.
    Old 12-08-2019, 04:52 AM

I so love the idea this is turning into - maybe somebody could organize it and present it to the moderators for one of the challenges???
    Old 12-08-2019, 08:02 AM

That sounds like a plan that could work for me. I need the discipline and direction that this plan offers. I have gotten a bit lazy and lacking in focus after retiring.
    Old 12-08-2019, 01:02 PM

I’ve used this method I help my kids get their finances paid off. Sounds like a good idea for ufo’s.
    Old 12-09-2019, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by AprilM
    I so love the idea this is turning into - maybe somebody could organize it and present it to the moderators for one of the challenges???

There is a UFO group on our site already. I am part of it. It does not have this specific direction but the group encourages and challenges all who participate to "get 'em done". Everyone sets goals or personal challenges as they wish. It would be absolutely appropriate and fun for any who are interested to join the group, assuming it will continue in the new year, and to introduce the concept of "Dave Ramsey" style UFO finishing. Perhaps, I will see you there since I do have the required pile of UFOs.
    Old 12-09-2019, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbinalong
    Definitely a good idea for finishing projects, usually charity quilt tops waiting for batting and backing, but I wish i could learn an alternative strategy for fabric.

I find I am always thinking "I'll just use up these scraps, (generated by me and donated) before I cut the yardage of the lovely fabric I have". I spend ages cutting up scraps into different sizes, storing them in labelled boxes and then sewing into 4, 8, 16 patches, string patches and till roll strips. When the mood takes me I pull out a pile of patches to make a top. The problem seems to be that the end of scraps is never in sight so the stash of yardage never decreases. Is there a cure for this?
    i use a paper grocery sack for scraps. When sack is full it goes to a friend who makes scrap quilts. She gives the finished tops back to me and then church ladies tie them for charity. It’s interesting to see the familiar fabrics again.