Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Coolest Notion Ever! >
  • Coolest Notion Ever!

• Coolest Notion Ever!

Old 12-15-2019, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tish05
    That looks really cool! I have a magnet dish that my son picked up at Princess Auto. I think it was originally designed for mechanics to throw nuts, bolts, etc in. It holds a lot of pins, but they stick to the outside and underneath as easily as they stick to the inside so that can be a problem. Also, when grabbing pins, it's fairly common to be stabbed....
    I love mine. I picked it up at the Marshfield Quilt Show from Brubaker's booth. Not very many pins stick to the bottom. They usually get caught in the top and are almost always caught with the point to the center and the ball head to the outside so you can easily grab them. I haven't tried it with the plain metal pins; I've pretty much given up using then at all.
    Old 12-15-2019, 03:28 PM

My husband just bought me a pink one, "just because." I've always wanted one but I couldn't justify the price with all the pin cushions I have.
    Old 12-16-2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tish05
    That looks really cool! I have a magnet dish that my son picked up at Princess Auto. I think it was originally designed for mechanics to throw nuts, bolts, etc in. It holds a lot of pins, but they stick to the outside and underneath as easily as they stick to the inside so that can be a problem. Also, when grabbing pins, it's fairly common to be stabbed....

Same problem here. Pins stick all over the place and I get stabbed.
    Old 12-16-2019, 01:51 PM

How cool is that? This should make quilting even more fun!
    Old 12-17-2019, 04:12 AM

I really like mine, I have several. One thing to watch out for, I've dragged stuff over mine (one is on the cutting board) and it caused the pins to pop over the edge so they were stuck on the side with Pointy End Up! And then I reached over to move it and got seriously stuck.

I've never had it automatically put the heads on the outside, they can go either way depending on how you drop them. Normally I make sure to re-arrange them so the points are all in. it's always fun when one balances straight up!

I also have several of the automotive type, they don't work near as well for straight pins, but they work great for safety pins and clips.
    Old 12-19-2019, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

One thing I use the Zirkel for is the insert in the hanging thread catchers with pin cushion. No worry about the thread catcher fall off the table and it's so handy to drop the pins right on it. One of my frugal I'm not putting a $20 pincushion in that,tried it with the other magnetic cushions but it didn't work, not heavy enough.