Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Church group quilt >
  • Church group quilt

• Church group quilt

Old 04-25-2023, 07:36 AM

Yes, string blocks would work. They could be sashed so that there would not be a lot of seams meeting.
    Old 04-25-2023, 07:01 PM

We did this a while back, in a quilting group with about 20 people, for charity (local veteran's shelter and the pastoral program at one of the local hospitals). The string quilt is a great idea. We used donated fabrics and scraps, didn't matter if they matched or not. Cut them into various widths, from one inch wide to three or four inches wide, most were WOF. If I remember right, they were either 10 or 12 inches wide. Then you cut them into sections that were square - so if your strata was 10" wide, you'd cut it into squares that were 10" tall. Then stack them, right sides together, one strata going north-south, the other going east-west. Sew around all 4 corners. Cut a big X into it. You'll end up with 4 separate blocks. We sewed a strip around each block to act as sashing and to stabilize the raw edges. Sewed the blocks together, and since each block was sashed individually, there was no need for cornerstones. We must have made 15-20 quilt tops in one day with this method! It was fun, easy, not much thinking needed so we had fun chatting away as we sewed.
    Old 04-26-2023, 03:30 AM

String quilts are a great idea. If you choose one distinct fabric for the center strip, set on the diagonal, the blocks will form a lattice when put together. I cut my strips 2" wide for the center strip. It takes about 2 yards of fabric for 72 - 9" blocks.
    Old 04-26-2023, 09:21 AM

Peckish. Love your idea. Actually, made something very similar. BUT, yours is easier.
    Old 04-26-2023, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by YC Quilter
    It was suggested at our last Christmas Fair planning meeting that it would be nice for several members to make a quilt together, or separate blocks that could be the joined to make a quilt. They looked to me for suggestions but I’m coming up blank. Has any one done this kind of thing? How do you get organized? Any pattern ideas?
    Was the person who suggested that a quilter? Or did she just think it would be a good idea for someone else to do?