Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards >

Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards

Credit Card Confusion Over Replacement Cards

Old 08-07-2023, 04:18 PM

someone played with my Discover card. I had to call and close the account. Then they sent me new cards with new number. I was just glad the new card showed up in my mailbox.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I checke and the numbers on our joint card account are different on the cards. My husband said a notice was sent with the new cards about the cc number change on each card. He said all my charges were mostly from Missouri Star. LOL I never look at that statement. He handles it.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:19 PM

We have one Visa card through our Credit Union that has always had the same number on both our cards. We were notified that because of security changes that when they expire, they will transition to separate numbers. The statement will combine both cards. DH monitors our accounts pretty closely, but the extra security of separate numbers won't hurt.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:04 AM

I just found an old envelope in my dresser and it had a Master Charge card in it for 1976!!!! At that time i worked for a Bank in the Master "charge" section. Boy i had forgotten that name.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:16 AM

My husband calls his credit card attached to mine his "magic card" because he uses it and I get the bill LOL. They are different numbers and I always just believed it is because I am the primary holder.

When on holidays recently I reported an identified charge on my card which then cancelled it. So there I was away from home for another two weeks, planning heavy credit card usage and no card! Thank goodness I had added my card to my Apple wallet and within about 24 hours the new card appeared in my wallet and I could tap with it. Truly magic!! I didn't know the number, though, and had to wait until I was home and had the new card before I could log into my account and check my charges. Whew!
Old 08-13-2023, 09:42 AM

For the last 30 years, I have had a separate bank account and also a credit card that is only in my name. Many many years ago, a financial advisor explained how credit ratings worked and how a person who is only a secondary holder does not have a credit rating.

When we go on vacation, my credit card is our back up, just in case our joint card is stolen or hacked.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Many many years ago, a financial advisor explained how credit ratings worked and how a person who is only a secondary holder does not have a credit rating.
I'm not sure that's true anymore, at least with certain cards and banks. OUR financial advisor suggested we add our children as authorized users and we did, once they hit 16. They never used them, but as authorized users they were able to build credit through us. Once they became adults, it was a lot easier for them to rent apartments, get their own credit cards, get better rates on insurance, etc.
Old 08-13-2023, 01:41 PM

Way to Go Peckish!! When i was young i had a terrible time building credit!
Old 08-13-2023, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I thought that's what they'd been doing for years. ALL of my cards (not just MC) are different from my husband's cards, even though they're the same account.
Ours, too. That way if one card is compromised, we still have one card to use.