Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any ideas >

Any ideas

Any ideas

Old 08-15-2023, 02:31 PM
Gay

You don't necessarily have to match seams with a bargello. Look at putting a seam half-way between.
You can also cut on the diagonal and make diamond shaped blocks to use in star quilt patterns.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:16 AM

I have a question. Are tubes the same as jelly rolls, if not, what are tubes then?
Old 08-16-2023, 06:26 AM

Tubes are when you take strips of fabric and sew them together side by side. Mostly, quilter's do this with jelly roll strips. But, they can be any width - whatever your pattern calls for.

Then when you have the required number of fabric strips sewn together, say 5 or 7 (usually an odd number, but can be an even number if that is what is called for) then you fold your long strips in half lengthwise and then sew the raw edge together making a 'tube'.

A good video to see someone doing this is Tea Time Quilt if you skip through to when she starts sewing the strips, you can see her making a 'tube' and then shows you how she cuts it and what it produces.

At the beginning of this thread, I posted a picture of a quilt I made (a variation of Tea Time), using the tube method.

I liked doing the Tea Time variation as I didn't need to match up any seams of any of the strips when putting them in the quilt, just the block edges when I sewed them into rows.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-16-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:38 AM

Thank you quiltsfor for responding to my inquiry. I’m still learning phrases, among other things, but since I started really quilting in 2019, when I joined QOV, I am like a sponge. I want to soak up or learn about any and everything to do with quilts.-lol Now that you explained ‘tubes’ I did this when I made my Bargello quilts. I guess I just thought, when the original poster to this thread said she found 6 sets of tubes, I was thinking it was some kind of precut. I’ll try to remember now, thanks for being patient with me.
Old 08-17-2023, 10:07 AM

Glad to help! I'm always learning new things, pretty much with every quilt I make!
Old 08-18-2023, 10:07 AM

Just to overwhelming to try a bargello, so put them aside. Will try using them during colder months. Really too hot here right now.