Safety Advice

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Lyn

When I am alone in the house and I am quilting, I always lock up because I am upstairs with the machines going and can't hear anything. Last summer my husband and I were watching tv with most of the lights out. At 10:30 at night our doorbell rang. Our dog went nuts. We heard heavy boots run down our steps and into the woods. We told the police and a few days later a ring of young thieves were found a few streets over in a very nice home.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:02 AM

i have my doors locked at all times, there is a registered sex offender who lives behind me---he creeps me out. but i say don't give anyone an opportunity-----my hubby is a truck driver and he had a man pull gun out and point it at him in traffic, he got his vanity plate number and reported it. never be too cautious but be aware of whats going on around u no matter where u are nowadays. be street smart they say.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 AM

Great post. Thanks! So glad you are okay.

Great tip I learned from my daughter (who does this). If your bedroom is within range of your car and you have a panic button on your keychain, keep it on your night table and if you have a problem in the night hit it and get the car going. It will alert neighbors that something is going on and probably scare off anyone trying to break in.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 PM

My husband and I were the victims of a home invasion about 18 months ago. After turning this wacked-out young woman away from the front door, my husband got on the phone to 911 (who were more than useless, btw).

I was (surprise!) in my sewing room along the side of the house. I saw her come walking by, not knowing what had happened at the front of the house.

To make a long story short, she pulled out a 15" knife and proceeded to slash out the window screen. I jumped up, closed the (double-paned) window, which she then broke through with the knife and climbed in.

We were never hurt, thankfully. By the time we got her out to the front yard -- she kept saying that she wanted my car -- the police showed up and took her away.

We learned several things: Yes, Martha, you CAN break a window with just a knife. Said window glass will get into EVERYTHING in the room. Alarm systems work really well when you remember that you have them (ours was only a week old and we completely forgot about it!). A can of mace, an axe handle, or even a fire extinguisher are all very good defensive tools. We keep one of each by every door. (I won't have a gun in the house, no matter what; sorry)

At some point, we would have been better served to just have thrown the phone on the floor (with the 911 operator still talking and asking stupid questions) and dealt with her on our own. We just kept backing up and trying to keep her at a distance.

The suggestion of the car alarm button is a good one, but only if your bedroom is close enough to the car.

Oh, the kicker is that she has *yet* to go to trial... :-[
Old 12-31-2009, 06:33 PM

Ladies never place your purse on the passenger seat next to you. Always place in on the floor under your legs next to the car seat, or nest to door beside your legs. I always lock my car as soon as I get in the car, then put whatever I have in hand in the backseat. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN FOR WHAT IS AROUND YOU BEFORE EXITING OR ENTERING YOUR CAR.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:41 PM

These are all good! I lived alone until I was 34 and had my house broken into several times. I always lock my door when I am home and also when I am mowing the yard. If you are going to be gone for a few days, have your mail held. If you come home and your door is ajar - call 911. Tell them someone may still be in the house.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 AM

Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 AM

I bought a tire beater at a pawn shop just to keep in my car so if someone attacked me, it would be within reach, but then I found out that it was illegial to carry it in the car, so now I was thinking, what else could I keep in the car besides a pistol (which I don't keep in the car because of my grandkids)?

I then thought about my meat tenderiser. Have you ever noticed how heavy that thing is and seems to be just perfect for poppin an attacker on the head. I wonder if that would be illegal to carry in the car for protection?

Oh! by the way, I keep the tire beater hanging on my bedpost!! :thumbup:
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 AM

I was once in a fabric store and noticed that as I went to exit, a creepy looking guy who'd been lurking in the store by the door started to follow me to my car. I immediately turned around like I forgot something at the store and returned. In doing this I faced him and got a good look at him. From the store, I kept my eye on him and he just wandered around the parking lot a bit before leaving it. I am sure he meant me harm. The best safety tip of all: follow your gut feeling. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM

hpylady,
What's a tire beater? Never heard of it. Is it the same as a tire iron. Is it 4 heavy metal spokes like an "X"?