Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric >

Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric

Need help keeping ruler from slipping when cutting fabric

Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

The AltoQuilt cutting system has a fabric holder that locks to the mat and the ruler is attached. The fabric or the ruler will not slip. Here is a link to how it works:

http://www.quiltcut.com/
Old 01-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I have seen it suggested on here to use the suction cup handles for showers that are sold at Wal-mart and such. People say they can be easily moved from ruler to ruler and are cheaper than "quilting" handles.
I would try that.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:33 PM

The shower handles in Walmart sound like a good idea. I know I need something to hold my rulers down more firmly as sometimes I get a bulge in the middle of my cuts, guess my arms and hands aren't as strong as they used to be.
May in Jersey
Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
bj

I have a friend who puts dots of rubber cement on the under side of her rulers. They aren't thick, they dry clear, and they rub off easily if she wants to redo/move them. She also taught me to hold the little finger of my left hand snug on the fabric up against the left edge of the ruler to help keep it from wandering. Good luck with whatever you try.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM

Are you putting your hand near where you are cutting and repositioning it as you cut farther up the fabric? I stop in the middle of the cut and walk my fingers up the ruler, not removing the rotary cutter as I do this. Took some practice, but now don't have the problem of moving ruler, unless of course I push down too hard on it.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM

I have had the same problem. I found that walking my hand up the ruller and cutting slower help. I just bought a Gypsy grip so I'll see if that helps, too.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I have tried everything that everyone has suggested without much luck. When I was in Houston for the quilt show I bought a ruler that DOES NOT slip. You can find it on their web site. Martellinotions.com. It was expensive but for me worth it.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM

I've had very good luck with regular old plastic wrap, worked better for me than the Invisigrip. Also, I recently read somewhere, that using a narrower ruler, say a 3" compared to a 5 or 6" would give you better control.

Quilter's Rule sells adjustable rulers that are real nice for strip cutting. They're made with a special lip that makes very accurate cuts. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. You can look at them here:

http://quiltersrule.com/rulers/qr-westalee.html

You've received many great ideas here. Great thread! :thumbup:
Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjc
Try a Fiskars rotary ruler. The blade is attached to the ruler. I found several places online that sell them by googling 'Fiskars rotary ruler'. Walmart also sells them.
I have one of these rulers and love it. However, we bought our 12 year old one this year to go with her new sewing machine and we have found it doesn't roll as well as the one I have had for years. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't remember if I had to do something special to it but the new one didn't say to do anything. It just doesn't roll smoothly.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by butterflyquilter
Originally Posted by cjc
Try a Fiskars rotary ruler. The blade is attached to the ruler. I found several places online that sell them by googling 'Fiskars rotary ruler'. Walmart also sells them.
I have one of these rulers and love it. However, we bought our 12 year old one this year to go with her new sewing machine and we have found it doesn't roll as well as the one I have had for years. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I don't remember if I had to do something special to it but the new one didn't say to do anything. It just doesn't roll smoothly.
Have you tried contacting Fiskars or checking their site for troubleshooting issues? Good luck.