Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What do you think this is worth???  Need help! >

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

What do you think this is worth??? Need help!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 PM

that color combination and that type of floral design were popular in the 60's.
there was a catalog company called herschner's, i think, that sold the tops, stamped for embroidery. for ll i know, they are still in business. they also sold stamped tablecloths. this could have been intended as either one. you'll know when you measure.

in any event, it's a beauty. it's magic that it survived so well for so long. do you think you could make as much or more by selling raffle tickets for it in your community on your own?
if you decide to sell it on ebay, predetermine a bottom price so you don't get stung.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:01 PM

That is a beautiful quilt!
Maybe take it to a LQS and see what sort of price tag they put on it. You never know, someone there might be willing to pay $$$$$ for it
Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM

We have found that you can't get enough for any quilt by setting a price or even auctioning them off. We've made the most money on quilts by raffling them off.

I've had a hand quilted wall hanging sell for $25.00 (silent auction), and a machine quilted bed quilt raise $1600.00 (raffle).

This quilt is a beauty. I sure hope you can find a way to raise the money you need with it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM

It's gorgeous and whatever the value I am sure it will garner alot of interest.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 PM

That's a beauty many people would be willing to pay a much more realistic price for. It should be sold elsewhere and the money can still benefit the charity.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shelley
We have found that you can't get enough for any quilt by setting a price or even auctioning them off. We've made the most money on quilts by raffling them off.

I've had a hand quilted wall hanging sell for $25.00 (silent auction), and a machine quilted bed quilt raise $1600.00 (raffle).

This quilt is a beauty. I sure hope you can find a way to raise the money you need with it.
if you decide to raffle it off (i agree with shelley) find out if the local library will let you display it there. it will get a lot of attention and, who knows, they might be willing to take the money for you. otherwise, one of you could be there on kid's mornings or adult evenings, when there are people to buy raffle tix. can it travel around from location to location? church then library then a different church then community center then gym, etc.? get the entire community interested.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:59 AM

This quilt belongs to be on a auction. Just like the Amish do but only they make there own auctions. This quilt is really awesome and the one who would only give 5 box is such one of these persons who would get everything for nothing..

(what means raffle it off?)
Old 01-30-2010, 01:14 AM

maksi, a raffle is like a lottery. people spend a certain amount of money like $1.00 for one ticket. they buy as many tickets as they like. after all the tickets are sold, a number is chosen by the owner of the quilt. the owner doesn't know who bought that number ticket. the person who has the ticket with the matching number wins the quilt.

you do this when you think you can sell a lot of raffle tickets. if your item is valued at $500.00, and you're selling $5.00 raffle tickets, then you have to believe that you can sell 100 of them to make the right amount of money. if you sell less, then you make less. if you sell more, then you make more.

if you auction it off, you might only get a low bid, unless you establish a bottom price which means that only prices above that one are acceptable.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
My mom volunteers at a "thrift" store that is a non-profit charity supporting an adult daycare center and soup kitchen. The other day, a lady wanted to pay $5.00 for this quilt, but my mom said it was worth quite a bit more. Many in the community do not see that it costs the charity $4000 a month in rent for the buildings that house the thrift store, the daycare, and the soup kitchen (that is open to the entire community every day), not counting the running costs of these places, so they want to get something for virtually nothing. That being said, my sister said she would put the quilt up on E-bay for sale to see if it could get more $$$ for the charity. She has no idea what to even expect. The quilt is completely hand done. My mom gently washed it and said there are a few small dirt stains, but otherwise, it is in excellent condition.

What do you think this quilt is worth/ what do you think they could get for it? Thanks for you help.
I wouldn't sell it for any less than $500. If you don't think anyone would pay that, I agree with some of the others - Raffle it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful! And I think the raffle is a great idea. I can't believe you haven't bought it yourself. LOL
Hope you raise a lot for the Charity, sounds like great causes