Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing! >

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Old 02-23-2010, 06:47 AM

"Better finished than perfect!" Boy, that just took a lot of pressure off!

I'm finally getting comfortable with free motion quilting, and have a couple of spots that didn't come out as I would have liked...okay, I ran over the corner of a pink square with blue thread, and there is a "kiss" on the backing...but I'm just chocking it up to a learning experience and decided that everytime I look at those "customized" spots on my quilt I'll remember a lesson learned.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 AM

You all sure make me feel better, I just got a quilt done an was"t to happy with it my friends tell me how pretty it is an I am setting here wishing I had never made it.
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 07:10 AM

I'm really trying to relax my "standards" but it's hard. I've always been a perfectionist and sometimes that course isn't the best one.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM

I used to look and see everything; all the imperfections that I now realize noone else sees. My rule is this and the girls in my quiliting group love to quote it: IF A MAN ON A GALLOPING HORSE CAN'T SEE IT, DON'T UNDO IT.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:12 AM

I used to look and see everything; all the imperfections that I now realize noone else sees. My rule is this and the girls in my quiliting group love to quote it: IF A MAN ON A GALLOPING HORSE CAN'T SEE IT, DON'T UNDO IT.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:22 AM

No, you're not any crazier than the rest of us!

What amazes me is how I don't see the mistakes when I'm making them, when it would be easier to fix. Guess it's similar to when we're frantically looking for something in the house only to have someone else point out that it's right under your nose. Sometimes another set of eyes are good (finding keys) but other times they're not (spotting quilting mistakes). Happily, most people love the results, no matter how imperfect.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Isn't there a panel some where that says "A mistake is just another way of looking at something"
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 AM

I'm working on getting out of that habit. I used to have a really unhealthy tendency to be an imperfectionist* and I'm working on accepting that my quilt won't be free of every error, if there's a little bit of puckering, I can quilt that out, and no one else knows that it's not how I meant it to be.

*My friend redefined perfectionist to imperfectionist. So someone who sees every little mistake, rather than being a "perfectionist", they're actually an "imperfectionist" since they're focusing on the imperfections. I like that definition and rephrasing :)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I'm really trying to relax my "standards" but it's hard. I've always been a perfectionist and sometimes that course isn't the best one.
Perfectionist. Did you say course or curse. :thumbup:
I'm cursed with that too. Sometimes its good sometimes its not. :shock: in the quilting world its not. I need to leave it at the door when I go into my sewing room. ;-)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonfly Nana
Isn't there a panel some where that says "A mistake is just another way of looking at something"
OOHHHH Yes there is. Omak bought it for me when we met in Ephrata. Its the Mary Engelbreit Panel #08050
I love it. I need to get it made and hung in the sewing room.