Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing! >

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Do you look at your quilt an see every little thing!

Old 02-26-2010, 07:59 AM

When I joined my quilt chapter I was stunned to see that the first thing the ladies do is turn over the quilt and look for boo boos and then are tickled pink to find them. They do rave and compliment my work which is nice but oh my. I never look for boo boos but I do look to see how they accomplish the things I may be having trouble with so I know who to go to for help if I can't get it figured out. I no longer point out my goofs. If they see them fine; if not, even better.

Originally Posted by lakequilter
I like all the comments on this subject. I have one more to add. When showing off my work I always had a tendency to point out my mistakes. (I don't know why) But a fellow quilter told me to stop, that I was the only one seeing these mistakes. So I have gotten better. I figure if someone is looking for mistakes I shouldn't be showing it to them.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:14 AM

My quilts aren't a life and death issue. There are times in life where we do need and want the best we can get, have, or achieve. If this is important to you, by all means go for it but I'm humanly incapable of achieving perfection and plan to enjoy my life without stress. A lady in my quilt chapter is very annoyed with us who don't share her need for perfection. She refuses to join swaps with us because we don't buy fabric that suits her; because our workmanship doesn't suit her. She led a class project for us and got very upset because some of us refused to rip our fabric out until it was no longer useable but when we had show and tell of our completed quilt tops, they were all gorgeous. Her's was perfection and gorgeous. Ours were not and gorgeous. We had a ball working on ours while she stressed out over our shoddy workmanship and poor attitudes. . . Luckily life is choices and we are each free to pursue it in our own path. This definitely one of those personal preferences issues and I do applaud those who can achieve perfection but I can't and that's ok too.

Originally Posted by PoopayTwo
Connie, so many times I've heard "Oh, you're too much of
a perfectionist, that's good enough!" I respond to them "If you needed brain surgery would you want a perfectionist or a doctor who said, "Oh, that's good enough." We,quilters are just trying to do our best, right?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:21 AM

It's not good to be so critical of yourself. You are the only one that would ever notice the slight improfections. I struggle with the same thing, but with each top completed, it is getting easier. Good luck :lol:
Old 02-26-2010, 08:22 AM

Oops, mean simple machine quilting.

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
The quilt in your avatar is gorgeous. I can't imagine trying to quilt it on a machine but then I'm a hand quilter and only just now trying to learn how to do simple hand quilting. Oh yes, that stitch in the ditch is a royal challenge but your quilt is gorgeous and I'm sure it will be when finished. Enjoy the process.

Originally Posted by lnordyke
I have about 1 more evening of work to do on the quilt in my avatar. The quilt is for my sister and I think she will be pleased it. She doesn't sew at all and is always appreciative. I certainly see my "wanderings" as I am quilting in the ditch. I think "IN" is an overstatement. I have decided that nobody will be able to see the imperfections from across the room, so I'm OK with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Connie in Indiana
:-( When I am making it do it right, But when I get it all done I see every little thing. But when no one can see them to me its like it has flags. I used to make some thing to ware an people loved it I could never ware it. Others would take them an they used them.
I just see every little thing do you all do this too? Or am I the only crazy one. :oops:
Dear Connie, I understand how you feel about your quilts. It reminds me of something I have had to come to terms with concerning raising my children... I know throughout those wonderful/difficult years that I DID try to do the very best I knew to do at the time and believe me, I made a lot of mistakes.

Our quilts become so much a part of us since we work so closely on them. I am trying to do my very best as I work on them; correct or redo obvious mistakes as I go. But, once done, I must remember that I did my best at the time. AND also, that most other people won't even see it so I try not to point my mistakes out!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:33 PM

I have been quilting for 3 years and tried to be perfect. Well it is to stressful and I didn't enjoy the process. Could have quit quilting altogether!! I just do the best I can and I am getting better. RELAX!! Quilting is supposed to be fun and something to be proud of. I love the quote "Bette Finished than Perfect.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:39 PM

the amish have a saying that every quilt should have some mistake or flaw because god is the only one that can make something perfect
Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

I see every flaw glaring at me, but I figure that no one in the world is perfect, and flaws give everything character. Unless the flaw is soooo big that it's not usable, wearable or salvagable, don't sweat it.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM

I look at it this way: The Amish have to make a mistake in thier quilt on purpose cause they believe only God is perfect. Well how do you argue with that? Just I don't have to do any of it on purpose. LOL ( Before learning that I drove myself crazy with my crafts)