Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
French Braid pattern >

French Braid pattern

French Braid pattern

Old 07-24-2010, 04:52 PM

In my never ending quest to bring "stuff" to the table, I just had to share a bit of excitement. Which at my age is great. My last comment was pertaining to the Aug. 6 th 2010 AQM that has this really sweet patchwork braid pattern and it has the template of which I have already traced out and cut. I have a layer cake of the sweetest Whimsical fabrics and in laying the template and marking spot to spot, the 6" length at the tip, when you flip the templete over naturually the tip with the 45% cut fits quick nicely with even maybe 1/2" to spare on the 10" square. So my first thought was a big grin and tomorrow I am going to start working on this project for me. BUT, the second I notice, and the other military moms out there will see this, the braid actually is a chivron...The more I looked at it, I pulled the container of fabrics that I wanted to finally make my own son a quilt of valor. Using the Gettysburg and one or two fabrics that work well with it, is perfect for this, which would normally be considered a more femine quilt top. So wish me luck please. I want to make a small lap quilt with my layer cake pack of really sweet designs and colors and then I will re-think the size of the chevrons in making my sons. And yes, I would love to show it as it progresses every now and then. My son came out of Iraq as a Sft Sgt and is now a Lieutenet in the one of the best Fire Departments in the entire area. I think this braid can really show off the military colors beautifully.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the link MadQuilter. I looked there earlier today and could not find one for the price I wanted to pay. I just looked up the site again and found one for $10 plus $4 shipping. A steal as far as I'm concerned. I went to Jo-Anns tonioght with my trusty 40% off coupon but they didn't have it.

I can hardly wait til I get it and make a quilt.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Here's a link to a video for a similar french braid quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHAp_pyVXQ