Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi, I am new here, not a quilter, but thought I could pick your minds about applique work! >

Hi, I am new here, not a quilter, but thought I could pick your minds about applique work!

Hi, I am new here, not a quilter, but thought I could pick your minds about applique work!

Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

I think the fusibles will work on leather as long as the leather can take the heat.

I would test as I initially described -- leather on the ironing board wrong side up, then fusible, then applique sheet. That way only the wrong side of the applique leather will get the intense heat.

Since the stiffening isn't such a problem for you, I think Steam-a-Seam is your best bet. Easy to use, and the directions are on the package. Steam-a-Seam is sold in JoAnn Fabrics; not sure where else.

For symmetry, try getting some of the clear vinyl from Walmart's fabric section. It is on a rack that holds rolls of vinyl and vinyl tablecloth material and costs maybe $3-4 a yard. I haven't done this myself, so I'm hoping I'm remembering the details correctly. Cut a piece of vinyl and use a Sharpie permanent marker to trace your symmetrical pattern on it. Place this vinyl pattern on top of your background and secure the tops together (with leather, maybe using the clamp-like paper clips?). Flip the vinyl up, position your applique on the background, and check placement by flipping the vinyl back down. You can keep adjusting the applique underneath the vinyl until it is accurately placed.

I think there is a big question at this point of whether the leather can allow enough heat through for the fusible to activate. You would be pressing from the top, so the applique leather would need to be able to take the heat.

Instead of using a fusible, at this point I am thinking you may be better off with Unique Stitch. This is a permanent glue for fabrics that may also work on leather. Once you have your applique in poistion, you could lift up a piece at a time to dab a spot of this glue on. The glue stays repositionable for about 30 minutes, so as long as you place dots of glue in the middle of the applique, you will be able to fine-tune the positioning for awhile. Once the positioning is perfect, you would need to place something heavy on the whole thing and let it sit for 24 hours to become permanent.

Unique Stitch comes in a tube and is a little messy to use, so I recommend being very methodical in your approach. It remains water-soluble for 30 minutes so you have that much time to clean up a mistake. JoAnn Fabrics carries it. Sharon Schamber uses it for her fabric applique.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

So you are fusing leather to fabric?

I meant to compliment you on the jacket photo; the jacket is fabulous!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

[img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...um/welcome.gif[/img]

Have you thought of using basting spray? It is not permanent, so you can pick up and move the pieces until they are all where you want them to be. It just makes the pieces tacky and it washes out in the laundry.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma.