Jury Duty!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM

I agree Bella. I'm salary, so it doesn't matter if I miss work..that's not an issue for me. If it was a once a week call to make it would be one thing. This is every night for two weeks.

I don't want anyone to think I don't want to serve on a jury...I honestly don't mind! Civic duty and all that...and like I said about the last one I served on, it was kind of fun. I just don't want to have to wait until after 8pm EVERY day of this time period to see if I'm busy the next day or not!

It's a stupid system,and I resent it!
Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Yep, most government decisions are stupid. LOL
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Same here in New York they assign you a number you call in the morning and have to show up if your number is in one of the series numbers that is called.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Yep, most government decisions are stupid. LOL
You got that right!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by starlight
Same here in New York they assign you a number you call in the morning and have to show up if your number is in one of the series numbers that is called.
In my part of NY we have to call the night before. That's at least better than in the AM. The whole thing is a nuisance. You're either on jury duty or you're not. As was said, a person has to put their life on hold for a week (or more according to some of you). Ridiculous.

In NY, I was on call like that - given a number and if it was not on the recording, I did not have to go in. And a year later, they considered that I "served" even though my number had never come up.

I was "on call" for federal court here in Louisiana for one week back in October. I called in Sun-Thurs and was always told by the recording, 'you don't have to appear tomorrow'. I was VERY happy when it said 'you are now released from.....'

Of course, in February I had to go to state court to be part of a jury pool. The first day, we were there till 8 pm. Thank goodness I didn't get picked.

So I'm off the hook for about 2 years for both. Funny, my parents are in their early 70s and NEITHER has even been called.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:12 PM

My part of NY ... long island.. we are on call for a 7 days. Starting on such date you call after 4 pm. You have to do this all week.If you called all week and your number is not needed and If your number is called you go and sit in a room all day until they are ready for you. I've done this three times. But the third time I actually made it into the room with attorneys and they ask if you have a problem with this case and they decide if you are worthy. So it's every 4 years they will contact us.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:28 PM

They do the on call thing in Missouri also.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Here in my part of Texas we have several differnt possible juries to serve on.

Most recently I was called to appear for municipal court jury, for which you show up at 5:30 or 6 PM...after work...nice touch that increases the likelihood of everyone who is called showing up.

The time before this I was called to serve on a grand jury, which was interesting, but lasted till well after 7 PM, having started at 9 AM.

Another time I was called for District court jury duty, was picked and we had only one case to decide on, a very straight forward child custody case in which the grandmother who was requesting custody was the only parental entity who showed up! She had to do it through the court in order to have the legal right to sign for medical care, school stuff, etc.

The time before that I think it was county court, and I was there till 2 or 3 PM but did not get picked.

The last time my hubby got called, the case was settled out of court before the date he was supposed to go, so it was cancelled.