Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Tomato Soup? >
  • Tomato Soup?

• Tomato Soup?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 AM

Yummy lisae! Your version sounds good too! Now I want tomato soup! :D
    Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 AM

lisae............Your version is what I call vegetable soup. I love that, too. After the talk about soup yesterday, I started a pot last night and will simmer it some more today. I add all kinds of veggies, pasta, rice, barley........

The pot of soup I have going now contains chicken broth with a few bits of chicken, tomato juice, boullion cubes, celery, onion, shredded cabbage, carrots, rice, tiny bit of rotini pasta, cilanto, curry powder, turmeric, powdered ginger, cumin and red pepper.

I don't eat crackers or popcorn or anything with mine.............just soup, usually. I make a few soups with which I eat cornbread.
    Old 01-25-2008, 10:25 AM

OnTheGo, your soup sounds pretty good.!

I usually make vegetable soup with chicken based broth, not tomato based. I like to add beans, pasta, what ever I have. I've never thought of using the spices you did in yours.

I made a great mushroom, barely, miso soup the other night. My husband wouldn't even taste it. Said it sounded too weird to him. Oh well, more for my lunches. :)

It must be the cold weather that has people thinking about soup.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:46 AM

I love this with tomatoes I froze from my garden. This takes equal amounts of tomatoes and milk. Heat tomatoes in a pan and milk in microwave. Add a pinch of baking soda to tomatoes and slowly add milk. Add salt pepper and butter to taste. That is it.

You could add other ingredfients but I like to taste the tomatoes. yum
    Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 AM

lisae.....The spices have a rather unique flavor and I like it. My husband isn't too fond of curry, but I read that curry is believed to help prevent Alzheimer's.............I need all the help I can get. :lol: :lol: It's the curcumin that's supposed to be the ingredient. I tried to decipher its' direct source without coming to any conclusion, but I think it's a by- product of turmeric. If any of you know or find out, please post it.

Also, a recent newspaper article listed several herbs that were considered to be anti-inflammatory. They included cayenne pepper, curry, ginger, rosemary (I think) and turmeric. They're supposed to 'warm' the joints and relieve symptoms of arthritis. I know I sweated after eating the soup. I can only imagine that my joints got warm, too. :lol: Whether it helps or not, it certainly can't hurt.
    Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 AM

Ruth....what procedure do you use to freeze tomatoes? I used to go to a lot of trouble canning and freezing tomatoes, but learned to put whole tomatoes right from the vine .....don't even wash them...into a plastic shopping bag and freeze them.

When you're ready to use, simply take out every how many you need ( they'll be frozen individually...like a bag of rocks) and run under tap water. The peel with slip right off, then cut the core out. I then thaw in the microwave and use any way I would a canned tomato. Put in the blender to make juice if you want.

If you just barely thaw, you can salt and eat with the tomato having the consistency of a slushy (sort of ) but with the fresh garden taste.

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR A QUICKER, EASIER WAY. This works for me.
    Old 01-26-2008, 12:41 PM

yummy sounding soup. I see you use 3 tbls. of tomatoe paste. Do you use that paste in a tube? I've seen that on the cooking shows, but don't know where they get it.

I will try this though sounds good.

Have a wonderful weekend.

simple quilter
    Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 PM

I've used the tomato paste in a tube. Very handy! Kind of pricey, but if you're not going to use a whole can of paste it probably makes sense. I think the tube variety has better flavor too. But normally I just buy small cans of tomato paste and refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.

P.S. All these tomato soup recipes sound spectacular. I want to try every one!
    Old 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM

I wash my tomatoes, core, and quarter, put them in small freezer bags, then i can just add them, without doing anything.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-50932.jpe  
    Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Ruth, The picture of that pile of tomatoes is making me crave tomatoes. I'll be starting my plants in about a month. If I decide to plant English peas, I'll do that in about 3 weeks.