Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The barn quilts - >
  • The barn quilts -

• The barn quilts -

Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Ginaky
    Are you wanting to make wooden ones or fabric ones? I know the ones here in KY that the county Home Extension offices make are just regular quilt blocks you can find in any book. One of the members husbands puts the plywood sheets together to make them 8 x 8 and drafts the patterns on them and then different groups paint them. The the power company mounts them on the barns.
    Do you know what the process is that he uses to get the patterns onto the plywood?
    Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM

I did some barn quilts and put on our privacy fence. I just used regular quilt patterns and drew them to scale with a yard stick, some of it was free hand (flowers). My DH used 4 X 4 pressure treated plywood and we used exterior satin paint from Lowes to paint them. We spent an entire weekend painting 3 blocks. It did create some interest in the neighborhood and some even stopped to take photos.

My Barn Quilts
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]83283[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-83278.jpe  
    Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by MissM
    I did some barn quilts and put on our privacy fence. I just used regular quilt patterns and drew them to scale with a yard stick, some of it was free hand (flowers). My DH used 4 X 4 pressure treated plywood and we used exterior satin paint from Lowes to paint them. We spent an entire weekend painting 3 blocks. It did create some interest in the neighborhood and some even stopped to take photos.
    Very nice! I just told my DH he could make some and put on the privacy fence between us and out neighbors! It's the neighbor's fence. We could put it on our side. :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
    http://barnquilting.ning.com/

Do you know about this site? I just joined but not sure what it is all about or if it might help you.
    ty
    Old 06-10-2010, 05:54 PM

Here is more information about Barn Quilts

http://www.barnquilts.com/instructions.html
    Old 06-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Free information on how to make:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6103081_dire...rn-quilts.html
    Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
    Power Poster

MissM, I love the quilts on your fence. Such a cute idea!
    Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Don't know for sure if this will help, but we found a couple of those barns in Shady Valley (among many other places in East Tennessee) and a sign at one of them that said referenced "quilttrail.com". I also have a guide for quilt barns titled "Appalachian Quilt Trail." And several years ago I printed maps from: http://vacationaqt.com

I think there are some specific size requirements to participate in one of the trails, but I really don't know how to go about finding out what they are if one of these internet addresses doesn't have the information.

If you haven't done it, it is a lot of fun driving the highways and byways looking for these barns. A wonderful excuse to see some truly fantastic country.
    Old 06-11-2010, 04:04 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Linda B
    Don't know for sure if this will help, but we found a couple of those barns in Shady Valley (among many other places in East Tennessee) and a sign at one of them that said referenced "quilttrail.com". I also have a guide for quilt barns titled "Appalachian Quilt Trail." And several years ago I printed maps from: http://vacationaqt.com

I think there are some specific size requirements to participate in one of the trails, but I really don't know how to go about finding out what they are if one of these internet addresses doesn't have the information.

If you haven't done it, it is a lot of fun driving the highways and byways looking for these barns. A wonderful excuse to see some truly fantastic country.
    We have several right around us. I see them every day on my way to work. But haven't found how they make them. DH would like to make some. Usually I think it is groups that paint them and volunteers that do it.
    I just love to see them. They are beautiful and we are blessed to have them all around us.
    Old 06-11-2010, 04:21 AM
    Banned

We don't have any around here but I have seen pictures and they are really neat!! I wonder if we could make "ROOF QUILTS"? :wink:
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-83339.jpe