Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What do you do with cumumbers? >

What do you do with cumumbers?

What do you do with cumumbers?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Slice them and mix them with sour cream.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 PM

Take them to a frat party or anywhere Alcahol is being served.eating cucumbers before drinking will knock out the hang over part of drinking.(all the vitemins and stuff in them)
Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM

I slice them & top with Buttermilk Ranch dressing. Salt & peeper if you like. Delicious!!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM

take the excess water out of them

Add sour cream (and onions if you like), pepper and a little sugar!

YUMMMMMMMY!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Here is my favorite...and perhaps the easiest recipe in the world: Cube the cucumber. (Let's say two smll/med) Add half a sml/med chopped onion a roma tomato...amount up to you...but not too much. Add salt and pepper to taste, olive oil, juice from a fresh lemon, and a bit crushed garlic. Then stir and chill.
It's that easy. SO refreshing on a hot day! Hey you can even leave out onion and/or tomato. Just really need garlic, salt/pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
My family takes sliced cucumbers (peeled), onions, and beets, and puts them all in one container with vinegar. Yummy! Also, I have a recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles, as well as for the sour pickles if you want it. The whole process takes about 20 minutes to prepare and then you stick them in the fridge overnight. They are the BEST!!

Oh, please post the Recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles. I would love to try to make these.
:-D
Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM

One I haven't done for awhile, but loved it...not sure on the measurements, I just always wing it and season to taste..but peel and CORE the cucumber (scrape out the seeds) pack the center of the cuke with a papertowel and chill for an hour or so.
Remove the papertowel, stuff the cucumber center with a mix of softened cream cheese, canned chicken (the chicken that comes in what looks like a tuna can) chopped onion, a bit of poultry seasoning...
(if you pack the cream cheese mix in baggie and cut a corner off you can pipe the mix into the center of the cuke.)
Chill again for a couple of hours, slice about 1/4 inch thick and serve.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 PM

If anyone noticed...there is another conversation about food going on elsewhere too. They were asking folks what the yuckiest thing was they ever ate...and I wrote about Cambodia experience. This is on my mind now. SO, there is a GOOD recipe using cucumbers I'll tell you about quickly. IF you are into THAI cooking, using lemon grass, etc. you are familiar with the seasonings. The Cambodian chef also cored the cucumber, but stuffed with minced chicken and placed whole cucs (could be cut into 3" lengths) into very gently simmering broth. It was served as a hot soup. It was very delicious. I had never seen cucumber served warm, only cold previously. Hey, it was very good
Old 06-24-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
My family takes sliced cucumbers (peeled), onions, and beets, and puts them all in one container with vinegar. Yummy! Also, I have a recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles, as well as for the sour pickles if you want it. The whole process takes about 20 minutes to prepare and then you stick them in the fridge overnight. They are the BEST!!

Oh, please post the Recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles. I would love to try to make these.
:-D

Here's the recipe you requested!

Start with a rather large microwaveable bowl - if possible, use glass because the coloring from the mustard seeds will stain plastic containers.

6 or 8 cucumbers
1 tsp salt
32 oz bottle vinegar (you won't use all of this)
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seed
3/4 tsp mustard seed

Gently cleanse the cucumbers, slice, and place in bowl (for bread and butter pickles, be careful not to slice too thin!) Mix all the above ingredients along with half the bottle of vinegar into a separate bowl. Pour mixture over the sliced cucumbers (you might have to add additional vinegar in order to cover the cucumbers) and microwave on high for 7 minutes. Remove from microwave and gently stir the mixture. Put back into microwave for an additional 8 to 10 minutes or just until the cucumbers look "softened".

Place a lid on the bowl or cover with foil wrap and place into the refrigerator over night or at least for 4 hours.

YUMMY!!!! :) :)
Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 PM

THANK YOU! I think I'll try to make a batch this weekend. Your timing is perfect...what a great treat for July 4th coming very soon. Homemade pickles, and homemade icecream...Yummm!

And NO, I'm not pregnant! LOL!!! :-)