Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Talk to me about "the birthing method" >

Talk to me about "the birthing method"

Talk to me about "the birthing method"

Old 07-04-2011, 02:41 PM

I am finding its just as quick as binding a quilt. I think binding a quilt does make it look alot nicer.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 PM

I've never heard of "birthing" a quilt; but I've heard of the "pillow case" method, where you sew on all (4) sides but leave an open space big enough on one side to fit your hand in there and turn everything inside out (don't make it on the corner, for the open space).

I've made baby quilts using that method and they've been pretty decent and to quilt, you can still machine quilt or hand tie to finish it off, then if you want to add the binding you can or you don't have too. (which I've done both ways).
Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 AM

ugh! I have tried this on several quilts and just can't get it to come out flat enough. I end up with huge puckers and pleats when quilting it. I have read several books on this method and it just isn't for me I reckon. I would really like to figure this one out to use with corded or lace bindings.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:10 AM

On the flag, I would do free motion stars on the blue and wavy lines about an inch appart on the stripes.White thread on the blue and Navy one the red and white to make the quilting show or match the colors to make it blend in. I would also do a soft wavy 2 inch dark border all the way around.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 AM

this is the way my mother always did hers
Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by cctx.
I've never heard of "birthing" a quilt; but I've heard of the "pillow case" method, where you sew on all (4) sides but leave an open space big enough on one side to fit your hand in there and turn everything inside out (don't make it on the corner, for the open space).

I've made baby quilts using that method and they've been pretty decent and to quilt, you can still machine quilt or hand tie to finish it off, then if you want to add the binding you can or you don't have too. (which I've done both ways).

Pillow case quilts is also what we call them; we make them for the hospital/shelters for children. One reason it works for us is that at the Senior Center they do the layering and pinning -then they send them to us for sewing.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Duh!!! I'm stumped, I think. Seem to be having a "senior moment".
Is this the same as making a pillow case type (sew 3 sides together, then turn inside out)???
Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by taiboo
From what i am understanding, this method is basiically, Stitching the batting,top and bottom and then flipping it right side in and then doing a stitch to sew the hole you basically flipped it thru.

I have done this before, but have only hand-tied the quilt... How exactly would you machine quilt this? would you do it as normal? I would be worried of "air pockets"...no???

Can anyone help?
There is no reason you can't quilt any way you want.

I got so tickled watching someone (forgot who) on TV "birth" a quilt. Heck, I just stick my arm in, grab the opposite corner and pull it until I get the whole innards out. But this person went thru some huge production "birthing" her quilt.

T
Old 07-05-2011, 11:07 AM

I use this method for lap robes and small baby quilts.
Here's my little trick:

When sewing on the last border enlarge the stiching for about
10 inches in the middle. Press as usual. Layer and stitch all around the outside edge. Then with your seam ripper open those large stitches.

Turn thru that opening. Lay on table, use something long to push out the corners and edges. Pin as usual, Blind stitch the opening by hand then quilt as desired.

I also like to quilt about 3/4" from edge to look like a mock binding.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 PM

I used this method for a pineapple table runner set on point. I had already quilted SID but chickened out on binding all those points and inside corners.
Then I saw Ricky Tims on Simply Quilts and used the method he demonstrated on an art quilt with an irregular outside edge.
1) I cut the backing in half and stitched it back together leaving an opening in the middle for turning.
2) I pressed the seam to one side and made sure to press the open part of the seam.
3) Then I sewed all around the quilt and turned through the opening in the back.
4) Finally I hand stitched stitched the backing closed.
Ta Da! I did not have to stitch a pesky seam on the outside edge of the quilt.
Hope this makes sense.

(edit)This is a variation of Evelyn's method for when there is not an outside boarder.