Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Challenge To all of you Quilters (Rescue old sewing machines, cabinets)  Enjoy! >
  • Challenge To all of you Quilters (Rescue old sewing machines, cabinets) Enjoy!

• Challenge To all of you Quilters (Rescue old sewing machines, cabinets) Enjoy!

Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 AM

Yes please do and take some of the pressure off me. I have rescued at least 10 and have 1 more coming next week. I need to get very busy with getting them cleaned and oiled and working again. I think the woodwork is going to take the longest. Then maybe they can find another home to make room for more.
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:39 AM

Yes, I am the sewing machine rescue squad in our area.

My DH picked up a Pfaff 130 in a cabinet...both machine and cabinet are in pristine condition. He got these at an auction for $5. He said he was the only one who bid! I use it in the extra bedroom for a bedside table.

Then on a service call (he does heating and A/C repair) a customer gave him a Singer 15 in a cabinet (made in 1946 according to the serial number). I cleaned and oiled it and it purrs like a kitten now. I use it in my entryway for a table.

At the same place he was given a pale green Singer in a cabinet...don't remember the model, etc...prob. from the 60's. I cleaned and oiled it and gave it to DDIL because she wanted it!

This past Christmas we had some friends over and they brought me a newer (prob. 80's model because the body was metal) Brother machine in a cabinet that they had rescued from someone's basement. My friend doesn't sew so they brought this to me. I cleaned and oiled it and sold it this past weekend on our yardsale.

A couple years ago I found one at a yardsale for $10...an old metal Necchi, prob. from the 60's. After cleaning and oiling it I gave it to my friend that needed one!

I don't have room to keep many machines, so I try to pass them on to people who want/need them.

Personally, I use a Viking Platinum 775 for my sewing and a Viking Scandinavia 400 for embroidery. I keep these in my small sewing room along with a serger. I don't have room in my sewing room for the older machines, too, or else I would prob. use them for some sewing, too.

I am currently looking for a FW to use for classes and travel. I know if I wait long enough either I or DH will find one quite reasonable around here.
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 AM

my wonderful bf bought me a singer1920[that's the way it was advertised] the serial # is d1134019 the other # i can find .ssau52-16-1.i've already driven poor billy nuts w/questions[he's so GREAT!]it's been wired,so want to take it back to treadle.that makes 3 sewing machines & 1 serger[that i'd LOVE to sell]so think i've done all the "saving"i can afford & have room for !
    Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 AM

I found this at an estate sale. I think it was born in 1948 in ELizabethtown, NJ. I love it. Came with the desk also. It is a Singer model 15.
    This is my third rescue. I have two others. Hopefully more to come.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-84519.jpe  
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
    Google Goddess

Wow, awesome stories and love seeing the pictures of the old machine, keep it up Quilters and post when you rescue more old machines or cabinets
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 PM

You will love your 15! Mine has been very loving and loyal!
    Old 07-01-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I found this at an estate sale. I think it was born in 1948 in ELizabethtown, NJ. I love it. Came with the desk also. It is a Singer model 15.
    This is my third rescue. I have two others. Hopefully more to come.
    That looks like the first one I got (rescued?). Is yours a potted motor or does it have a belt?
    Old 07-01-2010, 09:47 PM

I have a question to the gals who have rescued old machines. I have rescued two but they are so grimy I don't know what to use to clean the greasy dirt and residue from wherever they have been kept. Could you gals help with clean up efforts?
    I don't want to take lacquer off by accident using wrong product. I'd be very grateful...

I did destroy one finish with indirect sunlight, crazed the surface paint.!!!!!! so benefit from my stupidity please.

What to use to restore shine would be great as well.

Thanks to all - Cindy
    Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 AM

You can search the Vintage Machines and it gives you details and a supply list to clean them up. Good luck I have three to do myself, hopefully on this long holiday weekend.
    Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 PM
    Google Goddess

this is the link for the vintage machine section, tons of things there to read

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

Originally Posted by mudsprite
    I have a question to the gals who have rescued old machines. I have rescued two but they are so grimy I don't know what to use to clean the greasy dirt and residue from wherever they have been kept. Could you gals help with clean up efforts?
    I don't want to take lacquer off by accident using wrong product. I'd be very grateful...

I did destroy one finish with indirect sunlight, crazed the surface paint.!!!!!! so benefit from my stupidity please.

What to use to restore shine would be great as well.

Thanks to all - Cindy