Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand embroidery .............help >

hand embroidery .............help

hand embroidery .............help

Old 07-01-2010, 02:31 PM

One thing I noticed is it takes quite a bit of time for the transfer 'ink' to transfer to the fabric. The iron has to 'sit' on the spot for at least 30-60 seconds, if not longer. Just be careful not to scorch the fabric. Every so often I check by carefully lifting up the corner and if the transfer isn't dark enough for me, I put the iron right back on that spot. I do that for the entire design.

You might want to try tracing paper or newsprint. It's thinner than copy paper and should get hot faster since it isn't as thick.

Your other option is to tape the pattern onto the window pane, tape the fabric over it, and trace the lines with a pencil. Unfortunately this only works with light fabric.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I think it has to be light weight paper. I did some with copy paper and it didnt work either.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

does your red pencil say "heat transfer pencil?" that is what mine says on it and it works like a dream! i use those vinatage patterns often. a regular colored pencil will not work. i also have a heat transfer marker but to me the lines are too thick so i don't use that one too often but it works fine when i do use it.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:57 AM

What brand are you using? All this chatter makes me want to start an embroidery!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ckcowl
does your red pencil say "heat transfer pencil?" that is what mine says on it and it works like a dream! i use those vinatage patterns often. a regular colored pencil will not work. i also have a heat transfer marker but to me the lines are too thick so i don't use that one too often but it works fine when i do use it.
Yes it is Aunt Marth's heat transfer pencil.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

I tried it using steam even though the instructions said dry iron. It worked, scorched the paper but the fabric was fine. I think because it wasn't working and I re did the tracing on the paper a few times the tranfer lines are really thick. happy I was using test fabric. I will re trace the transfer and make sure the pencil line is not as thick. Thanks for all you help!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have hand embroidered since I was 8 so I don't need help in the embroidery department it is with transfers. I have vintage iron on transfers and since I wanted to copy them (for my own use) I bought the Aunt Martha's tracing paper that you trace the transfer on to. I have the special red pencil too that you use to trace the transfer then iron onto the fabric. It is NOT working. I have used unwashed100% white cotton fabric you could barely see the lines and not well enough to even make out what the pic is let alone embroider it. I washed the fabric, ironed it on again and still can't see the pic. I then tried a cottom blend wash and unwashed. Still no picture just a little pink so it isn't as if I made a mistake and ironed the wrong side. I re traced the picture so that the pencil was thicker and still nothing. The instructions say to wash the fabric and then use a dry iron on the highest setting. NOTHING is working. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought all these things and the transfer were pretty costly since they were vintage I would hate it if I couldn't use them. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I was having trouble using old transfers with the red pencil---then remembered that I had used a dryer sheet with them. bingo ! the dishtowels need to be washed with no additives. also,they make
an iron-on interfacing that is so thin you can barely see it. but it
makes it so much easier to embroider on thin towels. I just sold all my old transfers in the vintage area of our quilt show. went like hotcakes. smitty