Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lamp Question ??? >

Lamp Question ???

Lamp Question ???

Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 PM

I have 2 Ott Lites. One that is a stand up lamp that is next to my sewing table and then a clip on one that is clipped behind my machine. I got them both for 50% off at Joanns.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM

I have an Ott desk lamp by my machine & a regular floor lamp with a flexible neck next to where I sit on the couch. The Ott light I got on sale at Office Max (years ago), the floor lamp was from IKEA. :D
Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
I have 2 Ott Lites. One that is a stand up lamp that is next to my sewing table and then a clip on one that is clipped behind my machine. I got them both for 50% off at Joanns.
Ditto for me too!!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM

I have an Ott Floor lamp that hubby and I share. I use it behind my recliner when hand sewing. He uses it at the kitchen table while working on tiny things--electronic gizmos mostly. It has the flexible arms on it with a clip & magnifier. I also have a cheapy, clamp on light with a CFL bulb clamped onto my sewing table that I use at night and rainy days. I move it & clamp it on my cutting table when needed also.

I used to drag the Ott Lamp up & down the stairs but discovered my cheap, clip on works for what I do in my sewing room without dragging the bigger, expensive one around.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
I find I am not able to see at night like I used to. Since I like to do handwork while watching TV ,I was thinking of buying a lamp..do any of you have one you like? I need lots of light...I was thinking a floor lamp, the one on my table does not give me the light I need...Thanks for your imput... :D
Evelyn,
You're not alone with this issue. 3 years ago I had to have a light closer to me to hand quilt in my living room and purchased the gray Ott Light floor lamp and loved it so much that a year later I bought a 2nd one and have it by my sewing machine and it really does make a difference. Both of my lamps were purchased on sale at my local JoAnn's. Attached is a recent photo of my clean sewing room and you can see the style of ott light at my sewing desk. They have many choices and styles. I have this same style behind my love seat in the living and love it for quilting, knitting and reading. Watch for sales. You can order them online if you aren't near a JoAnn's. You definitely want a good lamp to work with and these are designed for crafting, sewing, etc. The neck is repostitionable which is really nice. This morning I was putting a band on the neck of a sweatshirt and need more light so just bent it down closer to my work and it made all the difference.

Ott light - floor lamp
[ATTACH=CONFIG]72415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-72410.jpe  
Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 AM

Ditto on the Ott lites. Used a 50% coupon at Joann's.....otherwise couldn't have afforded it. They are pricey but soooooo well worth every cent!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 AM

I know you all are going to think I'm crazy but I like the little "twisty" flouresent bulbs. I have one in an adjustible desk type lamp that sets on a table beside me. I use it for my quilting and reading both. It gives me a lot of bright light. I wasn't impressed with the Ott light. It didn't seem bright enough for me. My sewing machine sets in front of a window so don't need additional light in the daytime there.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the picture...it really helps... :thumbup:
Old 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
Thanks for the picture...it really helps... :thumbup:
You're very welcome. Go to http://www.joanns.com and do a search for ott lights and you can see the styles offered. A friend of mine also has a portable unit that sits on her desk and she can take it when we attend quilt workshops and when our guild offers classes. You can move it around the house where ever and as needed.
Patty
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM

I too, have an OTT light=bought a few years ago at Joann's with a 50% coupon on one of my trips to the States. I used it with a transformer overseas to convert it to 220. I am now back, and still using it. I bought a few extra bulbs since I knew I couln't get them overseas, and only had to replace it a few months ago!!! And I use that lamp at least 30-40 hours a week! I found one that has a detachable heavy base to use on a table/desk. It also has a mounting clamp that clamps to a table/tesk, which I kept attached to my sewing table and just move the lamp where I need it in the living room where I prop comfortable in my easy chair to quilt, applique, or just read. I couldn't be without it. Well worth the investment!! They were just 50% off at Joann's this past week - don't know if they still are, but you can find coupons (several) in their current flyer good till the EOM I think.