I'm in pain!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
My left shoulder has been aching for months now. I can't lift it past just below shoulder high and can't sleep on my left side -- if I roll over to that side it wakes me up. I've started taking ibuprophen in the morning so I can move it without pain. Been putting off going to the doc because I don't want her to tell me to stop sewing so I just grin, take ibuprophen and bear it. :)
I have had 3 shoulder surgeries. I am much better than before I had the work done. I recommend that you have it looked at. They can probably help you. Sometimes all it takes is some therapy or a Cortisone shot. I would not be able to sew if I had not had my surgeries done. It did take me out of action for a couple months. My right shoulder is still not quite where it should be. I had surgery (2nd time) in November. But it is a lot better than before!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 PM

I also have Fibromyalgia. Pain is a way of life. If I spend to much time on the computer my shoulder gets to hurting & then the pain spreads. I was also have issues while sewing. I found I was hunching my shoulders up too much to quilt on my machine, so I bought a different chair. I had a cheaper basic computer chair, but it couldn't be raised very high. Now I use a drafting chair, which is much higher. No more shoulder problems.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM

ooh ouch! I woke up in February with a sore arm and while it's gotten a little better, it still hurts all the time. Then in April I fell and hurt my wrist and it still hurts too. Maybe I need to see the doctor too-dh keeps insisting they won't do anything. That's easy for him to say-it's not his arms hurting.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:44 AM

Stretch both arms out straight around to your back as far as you can, hold for a minute or so, then come to the front , out straight hands together, and stretch iut away from you, hold for a few minutes Do this every 15 minutes while sewing or on the computer. It really helps the shoulders and blade area.And try to be over the sewing machine, looking down( then of course, your neck needs some stretching ). I found that when my machine was too high, I did more hunching over it to see what I was doing. had lots of problems, a year of going twice a week to the chiropractor, and doing those stretches daily finally got me straightened out.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
I tend to hunch over my sewing machine and over the cutting mat when I'm measuring and cutting. Inevitably I end up with a sore back - right in the center. Oh well, frequent breaks give me time to check the forums!
That is where it gets me. And yes, I do the frequent brake thing, too. But after a day of sewing, my back is really sore and tired.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:54 AM

Dont'cha just hate stopping when you got it really rolling and have to ease the pain?????? Then when I sit back down and try to get it going again, I can't match it. Just does not swing the same. I try to tolerate that arm pain and keep sewing but I JUST have to stop. Small projects, huh?
Thank you for this thread I know I'm in good company. Pleasant sewing, y'all. Hope it eases up.

Blessing
Ruth
Old 08-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

You know, this arm thing started just a few months ago. I honestly think it's from overuse of my laptop! And guess what I've been doing???? hee hee Same time table as joining the board!!!!!!!
Carol, thanks so much. I'm going to write down your instructions. I think that should help me. But a swim in your pool would do wonders ha ha
You promised!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 AM

My right elbow is what's killing me! It hurts all the time! I'm gonna try the stretching exercises. Thanks :o)
Old 08-24-2010, 06:20 AM

My left shoulder hurts and did go to the doc, he gave me exercises to do and told me I had bursitis in the shoulder and do as he said or you could a frozen shoulder. I do what he says, it still hurts but I can move it.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
You know, this arm thing started just a few months ago. I honestly think it's from overuse of my laptop! And guess what I've been doing???? hee hee Same time table as joining the board!!!!!!!
Carol, thanks so much. I'm going to write down your instructions. I think that should help me. But a swim in your pool would do wonders ha ha
You promised!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
Come on, not many days left this year!!